Elna automatic

Old 03-21-2014, 09:49 PM

Wink Elna automatic

Does anyone have one of these? I just bought it on ebay and haven't gotten it yet ,but im dying to get my hands on it .It should be here by Tuesday .I am just reading that it only takes single cams and not double .But there seems to be some debate on that ,some people are saying that it *might* take double cams and I am just confused about it . here it is http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Elna...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 03-21-2014, 10:34 PM

how funny I just brought one from ebay got it a few days ago love it, now I need to buy disks for her
Old 03-22-2014, 02:49 AM

I just placed my bid for the 8000, thanks for the reference/
Old 03-22-2014, 05:20 AM

Here is some quoted text from Erik J. Anderson in a thread over at the Elna Yahoo group:

"Ahh, this is the Elna III Automatic, that I referenced in my original post. It differs from the Elna II machines like our Supermatics, in that it has a top that is removable with screws. All Elna III "Automatic" machines were limited to single cams, and could not be updated to double cam. They were sold towards the end of the Elna II supermatic line. Both the Elna II and Elna III product lines were end of life'ed when the Star line was introduced."

The one you bought looks like it might have a removable top, so it might be single cam only.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:48 AM

I have a green Elna a little different than yours and I really like it, has the great little Elna growl, sews beautifully and powerfully. My only problem with her is the knee press. In order to use it you need a lot of space to the right ( like setting up in the middle of the dining table) and you have to have the machine centered differently. This threw me off because I sit at my machines with them at an angle and I couldn't do it with the Elna.

Aside from that I loved the Elna.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by onthebrinkofdisaster View Post
I've a Supermatic with all the cams. The portability with more stitch variations than needed is a plus. But, with all my machines in various locations, I seldom take advantage of the portability. If I was limited to only one machine and it had to be portable, this would be my choice.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:54 AM

Based on reading the ad, there are a couple of things you're going to want to look at when you get the machine:

1. It IS a zig zag machine - if it wasn't, the cams wouldn't work. The needlebar may need some triflow and some tlc to free it up. I have the version that must be just before this one, an "Elna zig zag" Same type number though and it doesn't take cams.

2. The motor pulley - it's about a $25 part from Ron White, and he rents a tool to replace the pulley. You don't strictly need it if you can stabilize the motor without it. I did it with a quickgrip, because I live in Canada and to ship that tool back and forth would not only cost a fortune, but it wouldn't have made it within the rental time frame he likes to use. The ad says nothing about having addressed the pulley, so chances are it's got some flat spots on it and it will rumble, howl, and vibrate like a freight train unless you change it.

ETA: I wonder if those were Elna cams I had here... if you're not too far away, I might be able to send you a couple of single stacked cams. They say swiss made on them, and I'll go see if I can tell what machine they're for.

Last edited by ArchaicArcane; 03-22-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:29 PM

oh you guys are awsome! thank you for the replies ! I am very anxious to get i t.. I love the style of it ArchaicArcane, The info you posted is invaluable ! it seems I could find everything under the sun about my 2 rocketeers,but this elna ? no t too much and a lot conflicting! lol if you have the cams that would be terific! Id pay the postage im in florida us do you think it would be a lot? sunflowerzz- good point I hope that I can get used to that I am very short (5 foot ) and I love my knee lever because my feet dont set all the way on the ground squarely .in a chair at my dining room table I would have to sit on the edge of the seat lol
mlmack - I did join that group ,it seems that conversation you quoted went on forever lol a lot of information thank you for posting .Nellie Im glad to hear that I hope to love mine too . My 17 year old already has her eye on it so maybe If I dont fall in love she will !
Old 03-22-2014, 08:52 PM

Here is a video that shows exactly what I am talking about as far as where the knee lever position is. You have to keep your knee to the left of it and then push over to the right to use. You can see how you are then sitting to the far left of the machine and not centered like on most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSa9ulOVizY
Old 03-23-2014, 12:30 PM

Lorraine,

When you use the kneebar you are indeed sitting to the left. However, many people like that position as it puts you more in front of the needle. Meaning you don't bend your back sideways trying to see the needle straight on. There was an old White treadle cabinet, called a "sit-straight" which put you in this position. I believe that there were also some other brands using the sit-straight design.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
Here is a video that shows exactly what I am talking about as far as where the knee lever position is. You have to keep your knee to the left of it and then push over to the right to use. You can see how you are then sitting to the far left of the machine and not centered like on most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSa9ulOVizY