Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
End of the story -Kenmore 9411 >

End of the story -Kenmore 9411

End of the story -Kenmore 9411

Old 08-18-2015, 06:24 PM

Thumbs up End of the story -Kenmore 9411

Few weeks ago I wrote about a problem with this Kenmore 9411 . First it was screwed to the cabinet and model number was on bottom. It would sew a straight stitch but not the zig zag patterns. Unfortunately it looked like it was never used and I fell in love with this 1976 machine because I thought it would be good to leave at hall for my charity sewing . As is I have to take a machine weekly. followed suggestions from here and after many calls for help took it to repairman.
He thought as I did that the top button was frozen and after many oilings gave it back to me because still not working. Well I re oiled and kept moving button. Finally today got it to do zig zag even though it is not on the correct pattern picture. Don't know if top button moves beyond # 4. as manual is online

Considering the repairman said to scrap it and he didn't even want it for parts I feel lucky. I took it back because of the accessory pkg. The big thing is now the needle shaft will move to left then right when before it only went straight down. I always thought it was frozen / seized and just needed freeing. Apparently man used lots of oil and I used lots of tri flow before I took it to him. glad I was on right track and nothing was broken --all metal.

Special thanks to all who helped especially Little Dream Devil and Kenmore Gal 2 as they kept writing and we became friendly over this machine. Had sent pics at first post.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:51 AM
Power Poster

I have a Pfaff that was all gummed up like that. I kept oiling over the whole winter and finally got it free. You may need to try Kroil and see if that helps. The stuff I got came in an air can so I sprayed some of it in a can then brushed it on. If you do use it and it frees up you will need to use some oil on the machine after that. Triflow will work but it could take a longer time. I have seen Kenmore machines freeze up like that from oil. There is no sacred place for it to not accumulate. The buttons, needle, the bobbin area, everywhere that moves will have to be degummed in order for that machine to work. Turn the machine in every direction after you oil. In other words oil then turn on its side. Next time oil and turn it on its other side. Next time oil and stand it on end. Upside down you get the idea. That oil has to run in. Then you might have to do it all over again. The Pfaff was not only gummed up it had a needle tip stuck somewhere. Once it got slicked up and the needle tip out it is a good machine. Hopefully no one tampered with the zig zag timing but that is fixable as long as it isn't a bunch of plastic.

That said I have a Kenmore still runs in reverse because I can't seem to find some tiny little gummed up place inside that machine. I have traced and traced but I can't seem to nail it. I may need to dig it out and put it under the bench in rotating positions with drops of periodic oil for a winter some time, too.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:26 AM

Miriam a Kenmore I worked on had that problem. This machine was stuck up from dried oil and sitting too long too. This machine was a free arm. I ended up taking a bunch of stuff underneath apart. The part of the feed dog mechanism that raises and lowers the feed dogs as it cycles was gummed up and couldn't be reached to free it up any other way. I got the machine to mostly work (it didn't work at all before I oiled it and took it apart) before I gave it back but the decorative stitches were still pretty ragged looking. It will most likely sit until all the oil dries up again.
Rodney
Old 08-19-2015, 02:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Miriam a Kenmore I worked on had that problem. This machine was stuck up from dried oil and sitting too long too. This machine was a free arm. I ended up taking a bunch of stuff underneath apart. The part of the feed dog mechanism that raises and lowers the feed dogs as it cycles was gummed up and couldn't be reached to free it up any other way. I got the machine to mostly work (it didn't work at all before I oiled it and took it apart) before I gave it back but the decorative stitches were still pretty ragged looking. It will most likely sit until all the oil dries up again.
Rodney
You almost can't give me some models of Kenmores...
Old 08-19-2015, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar View Post
Special thanks to all who helped especially Little Dream Devil and Kenmore Gal 2 as they kept writing and we became friendly over this machine. Had sent pics at first post.
Thanks for the kind words!! I'm glad things are working out.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:53 AM

Default Penetrant oil

I don't know if Kroil oil will dissolve old grease but, on the Abused Free that I worked on recently, every rusted bolt/screw was removed after using Kroil. This oil is incredible and it may be hard to find. It is mainly sold to industry end users. It comes in aerosol spray and squirt cans. The aerosol with the tube attached is especially useful for getting into hard to reach places on machine innards. WD-40 can't touch this stuff. Hope this helps.

Soman2

The other Rodney
Old 08-20-2015, 05:23 PM

My Mom's Kenmore was locked up like that. I oiled and worked it, the repairman kept it a week working on it. I don't know what the stuff he used was but it worked. But it stunk to high heaven. Took forever to get rid of the stench. But it works fine now. And that machine is why I will never use 3 n 1 oil. Machine oil or air tool oil only.