Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Featherweight Question

I think $250 is a great buy unless: It is not working, needs to be repainted, looks awful. Remember, they do not make these machines anymore.

so............. Newbie what did you decide to do? I am starting the hunt and really, really want a FW. I am looking at Craig's List, garage sales and estate sales. Tomorrow a friend and I are going to a small town for a Old Timers Festival with flea markets so hope to get lucky. Like another poster I think I enjoy the hunt especially if I find one at a good price.

I was in the quilt shop yesterday and they had 3 for sale--one for $325 and the other were $500 each. I want one, but not that bad!

There are always many Featherweights listed on www.shopgoodwill.com and also on ebay. The prices on FW machines have dropped since the economy has been so poor. I have 5 of them, but have never paid quite that much and all were in good condition, few scratches and came equpped with case, pedal, and usually at least some of the attachments.
    Whatever you do, I know you are going to love sewing on her. They are just the cutest things ever!
    Karen in Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Beck55 View Post
    so............. Newbie what did you decide to do? I am starting the hunt and really, really want a FW. I am looking at Craig's List, garage sales and estate sales. Tomorrow a friend and I are going to a small town for a Old Timers Festival with flea markets so hope to get lucky. Like another poster I think I enjoy the hunt especially if I find one at a good price.
    Beck55
    I haven't gotten one yet. Waiting for a good deal and one that I can see and test out first. Really want to check out a 301 so I'm not going to be in any rush.

I paid $350 for mine two years ago - it came from a man who worked on sewing machines, so it was clean/oiled, etc. Had attachments, case in good shape. Plugged it in and use it all the time. Love that little machine. I was told by others that I got a fair price for my area of the country.
    In stitches
    Janie

I have 3 FWs. About 10 years ago, I paid $290 for a 1956 (Libby). It did not have a footpedal and the case was not in good condition. Last year I found CeeCee, a pristine 1952 (my birth year) model on Ebay that looks brand new for $250. I also have a completely refurbished and custom painted 1947 model (Ruby Jewel) and that one cost A LOT MORE. So - if you are patient, you will find one. Just make sure the motor is not shot and if it has accessories, all the better.
    "May the works of my hands be pleasing in Your sight, O God."
    From 'A Quilter's Prayer' by Patricia Hauze

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieToQuilting View Post
    Is $250 a reasonable price for a featherweight? Most of the ones I've seen lately have been $400 or more. Thought about offering less but don't know how much. Ideas?
    I have two FW's and both came in great condition, worked like a charm, had all the attachments, manual, case and keys.
    I paid $250 for one and $300 for the other...... I thought that was a great price for them!!!

Newbie,
    Make sure the FW has the bobbin case.
    Sharon
    owner of 4 Featherweights

I have bought three at reasonable prices. Have made made aleast 200 pluse profit on all paid less than 250 for then..I try to buy every one i can find. a good investment. I have sold a couple for over 800 with every thing. Bought one for 245. and Sold it before i ever got out of Branson , Mo. for 650. So far doing good, I Bought one that had been in storage for over 30 years beautful condition, covered in old quilts. Mint cond,,,,quilts in good shape to OLDDDDDDDDDD. Cheap. price. 2oo for the whole unit.
    Fredwtb3........ Friendship and Love is the only cement that will ever hold this world together.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast