Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Featherweight Question

Featherweight Question

Is $250 a reasonable price for a featherweight? Most of the ones I've seen lately have been $400 or more. Thought about offering less but don't know how much. Ideas?

I went to a antique market and found a FW for $100. It was in rough shape, but I'd seen how they can be stripped and repainted so I gave it a shot. See the results so far on my other thread 'Refinishing my Featherweight". I've enjoyed the process, except for the stripping. Looking forward to finishing it and making my grandson his first quilt. I will also give him the sewing machine along with the quilt so when he is old enough he may want to learn to sew also.

Basically, I think you can find them cheaper...just depends on how much you want to spend and how much and what type of sewing you plan to do with it.

I think it depends on your area. I know in this area , ones in really good sharpe are at least $300 and up......I would not take less than $200 for my FW that is in worn condition. Depends too on what you can afford------I have founds some really good deals on e-bay or Craigslist (I collect as well as use constantly) I hope you can find one to use because they are sooooo great to sew on.......I think it is okay to offer less----all they can say is "no"

Blog Entries
    I recently bought one in Phoenix for $140 but it didn't come with anything. I even had to buy a foot pedal.

You can always find a treasure for less if you're patient. The question is, how long do you want to wait? For me, the hunt is as fun as using the machine, so I'm very, very patient:>

Blog Entries
    If it has add-ons and is in good working condition, I think the price is reasonable.

Blog Entries
    My DH paid a lot more for the one that he bought for me - but it was in pristine condition, in a case with all of the attachments - threaded and threaded bobbin - all I did was plug it in and it just thrilled me by sewing perfectly, forward and back. So, whatever you can afford.
    Nikki in MO

I think it is a reasonable price, but the condition of the machine and the case are important factors. If it test drives to your satisfaction, then go for it.

However, if you find any negotiating points in the condition or the lack of attachments, manual, etc., then you may as well offer a little less and see what happens

Dayle

Blog Entries
    Newbie-not a bad price depending on your area and where you are getting it from. Don't hesitate to make an offer if you are able to see it and test drive it. I just PM'd you. Let me know if I can help!

Daylesewblessed and I are on the same page! I didn't see the post before I posted!!
    Last edited by Wine Woman; 09-26-2012 at 05:34 PM.
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
    Stay flexible you won't get bent out of shape.

Barking Frog Winery, Carlton, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieToQuilting View Post
    Is $250 a reasonable price for a featherweight? Most of the ones I've seen lately have been $400 or more. Thought about offering less but don't know how much. Ideas?
    As above, there are a lot of things that go into the price. Condition, what comes with it (carrying case, accessories), which model (some are more scarce, does not mean the older models as some of the newer ones had less quantities made). The different areas of the country have a wide variation in price. Basically, it comes down to can you afford that price and do you want it. Offer $200 (if you like that price better) and meet in the middle......
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

I think $250 is a great buy unless: It is not working, needs to be repainted, looks awful. Remember, they do not make these machines anymore.

so............. Newbie what did you decide to do? I am starting the hunt and really, really want a FW. I am looking at Craig's List, garage sales and estate sales. Tomorrow a friend and I are going to a small town for a Old Timers Festival with flea markets so hope to get lucky. Like another poster I think I enjoy the hunt especially if I find one at a good price.

I was in the quilt shop yesterday and they had 3 for sale--one for $325 and the other were $500 each. I want one, but not that bad!

There are always many Featherweights listed on www.shopgoodwill.com and also on ebay. The prices on FW machines have dropped since the economy has been so poor. I have 5 of them, but have never paid quite that much and all were in good condition, few scratches and came equpped with case, pedal, and usually at least some of the attachments.
    Whatever you do, I know you are going to love sewing on her. They are just the cutest things ever!
    Karen in Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Beck55 View Post
    so............. Newbie what did you decide to do? I am starting the hunt and really, really want a FW. I am looking at Craig's List, garage sales and estate sales. Tomorrow a friend and I are going to a small town for a Old Timers Festival with flea markets so hope to get lucky. Like another poster I think I enjoy the hunt especially if I find one at a good price.
    Beck55
    I haven't gotten one yet. Waiting for a good deal and one that I can see and test out first. Really want to check out a 301 so I'm not going to be in any rush.

I paid $350 for mine two years ago - it came from a man who worked on sewing machines, so it was clean/oiled, etc. Had attachments, case in good shape. Plugged it in and use it all the time. Love that little machine. I was told by others that I got a fair price for my area of the country.
    In stitches
    Janie

I have 3 FWs. About 10 years ago, I paid $290 for a 1956 (Libby). It did not have a footpedal and the case was not in good condition. Last year I found CeeCee, a pristine 1952 (my birth year) model on Ebay that looks brand new for $250. I also have a completely refurbished and custom painted 1947 model (Ruby Jewel) and that one cost A LOT MORE. So - if you are patient, you will find one. Just make sure the motor is not shot and if it has accessories, all the better.
    "May the works of my hands be pleasing in Your sight, O God."
    From 'A Quilter's Prayer' by Patricia Hauze

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieToQuilting View Post
    I have two FW's and both came in great condition, worked like a charm, had all the attachments, manual, case and keys.
    I paid $250 for one and $300 for the other...... I thought that was a great price for them!!!

Newbie,
    Make sure the FW has the bobbin case.
    Sharon
    owner of 4 Featherweights

I have bought three at reasonable prices. Have made made aleast 200 pluse profit on all paid less than 250 for then..I try to buy every one i can find. a good investment. I have sold a couple for over 800 with every thing. Bought one for 245. and Sold it before i ever got out of Branson , Mo. for 650. So far doing good, I Bought one that had been in storage for over 30 years beautful condition, covered in old quilts. Mint cond,,,,quilts in good shape to OLDDDDDDDDDD. Cheap. price. 2oo for the whole unit.
    Fredwtb3........ Friendship and Love is the only cement that will ever hold this world together.

In order to let you know if that is a good price, is to know the condition. Is there a case? Are there any attachments? It sounds like a very good price in CA if it is in good condition and it runs. But if there is a lot of work needed - don't other.

I just bought a FW (my first, and will be my only) from a sewing center that is closing shop.......it has a lot of feet, and three bobbins and carrying case and I paid $200. I think that was a good deal. It works, I tried it when I came home, but the stitches are a bit tight...I am seeing pokies of the bobbin thread on the top....and the top thread seems to be a bit too tight. I tried adjusting the top tension to a lower number, down to 2, still pokies and top thread tight...any other suggestions? It took me about three times of threading it and having the thread break instead of make a stitch before I thought to try threading needle from right to left and that made the difference......one thing it did not have-a manual-is there a source for one

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    It works, I tried it when I came home, but the stitches are a bit tight...I am seeing pokies of the bobbin thread on the top....and the top thread seems to be a bit too tight. I tried adjusting the top tension to a lower number, down to 2, still pokies and top thread tight...any other suggestions? It took me about three times of threading it and having the thread break instead of make a stitch before I thought to try threading needle from right to left and that made the difference......one thing it did not have-a manual-is there a source for one
    Geri, It sounds like you should probably be adjusting the bobbin case tension at this point. Your aim should be to have the stitch balanced at about 4.5 when the machine is threaded with 50 weight thread.

I use a 1oz weight, tie it to the bobbin thread and hang it from the bobbin in the bobbin case. The thread should be -just- ready to come out of the bobbin case when you turn the case vertical. If that's where it's set to, someone disassembled the top tension and didn't set it right. There are instructions in the manual for that.

The manual can be found here:
    http://ismacs.net/free-sewing-machine-manuals-list.html
    There are 12 of them to pick from.

Blog Entries
    $250 is not a great price for an average FW I mean one that has seen normal use. I have 4 or 5 and have paid from $25 up to too many $$. Make sure it has the bobbin case, I bought a 301 once with out the bobbin case and a bobbin case cost more than I gave for the machine.
    You will get what you expect to get.

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Mine cost $350 came with the orginal case and all the accessories and the key for the case they wanted $400 and looks like someone bought it and put it away in the case I have tried using a couple of times and just can not get used to it really like my IDT and needle down option on my Pfaff 2030. Good luck
    ​Christine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast