Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Featherweight Question

In order to let you know if that is a good price, is to know the condition. Is there a case? Are there any attachments? It sounds like a very good price in CA if it is in good condition and it runs. But if there is a lot of work needed - don't other.

I just bought a FW (my first, and will be my only) from a sewing center that is closing shop.......it has a lot of feet, and three bobbins and carrying case and I paid $200. I think that was a good deal. It works, I tried it when I came home, but the stitches are a bit tight...I am seeing pokies of the bobbin thread on the top....and the top thread seems to be a bit too tight. I tried adjusting the top tension to a lower number, down to 2, still pokies and top thread tight...any other suggestions? It took me about three times of threading it and having the thread break instead of make a stitch before I thought to try threading needle from right to left and that made the difference......one thing it did not have-a manual-is there a source for one

Quote Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
    It works, I tried it when I came home, but the stitches are a bit tight...I am seeing pokies of the bobbin thread on the top....and the top thread seems to be a bit too tight. I tried adjusting the top tension to a lower number, down to 2, still pokies and top thread tight...any other suggestions? It took me about three times of threading it and having the thread break instead of make a stitch before I thought to try threading needle from right to left and that made the difference......one thing it did not have-a manual-is there a source for one
    Geri, It sounds like you should probably be adjusting the bobbin case tension at this point. Your aim should be to have the stitch balanced at about 4.5 when the machine is threaded with 50 weight thread.

I use a 1oz weight, tie it to the bobbin thread and hang it from the bobbin in the bobbin case. The thread should be -just- ready to come out of the bobbin case when you turn the case vertical. If that's where it's set to, someone disassembled the top tension and didn't set it right. There are instructions in the manual for that.

The manual can be found here:
    http://ismacs.net/free-sewing-machine-manuals-list.html
    There are 12 of them to pick from.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99-, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Blog Entries
    $250 is not a great price for an average FW I mean one that has seen normal use. I have 4 or 5 and have paid from $25 up to too many $$. Make sure it has the bobbin case, I bought a 301 once with out the bobbin case and a bobbin case cost more than I gave for the machine.
    You will get what you expect to get.

Senior Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    Mine cost $350 came with the orginal case and all the accessories and the key for the case they wanted $400 and looks like someone bought it and put it away in the case I have tried using a couple of times and just can not get used to it really like my IDT and needle down option on my Pfaff 2030. Good luck
    ​Christine

Blog Entries
    I have found that some times if you find a cheap machine, there is something wrong with it. Look it over real good no matter what.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    Geri, It sounds like you should probably be adjusting the bobbin case tension at this point. Your aim should be to have the stitch balanced at about 4.5 when the machine is threaded with 50 weight thread.

I use a 1oz weight, tie it to the bobbin thread and hang it from the bobbin in the bobbin case. The thread should be -just- ready to come out of the bobbin case when you turn the case vertical. If that's where it's set to, someone disassembled the top tension and didn't set it right. There are instructions in the manual for that.

The manual can be found here:
    http://ismacs.net/free-sewing-machine-manuals-list.html
    There are 12 of them to pick from.
    Thanks for the help on adjusting that tension...I will try that.....and also thanks for the info on where to find manual.....

My pleasure Geri. I'd like to hear about how you get on with it.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99-, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3