Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight skipping stitches >

Featherweight skipping stitches

Featherweight skipping stitches

Old 02-21-2015, 08:41 PM

My son has shown me a trick -- If I need to CLEAN a tension (not a machine that has been sitting a long time without use), I sew a chain on my serger and use that to clean the tension. It has worked very well on frequently-used machines. HOWEVER, if I had a machine that had been sitting unused for an extended period of time, by all means take it apart and clean it thoroughly. Tammi and Miriam are the experts on tension assemblies. Also, just a reminder, when you take something apart, take photos as you go, giving you a picture as to how you need to reinstall every part. Don't hesitate to use parts containers -- parts can get misplaced, or screws dropped and they're by far harder to find than you might think!

Jeanette
Old 02-21-2015, 11:24 PM

Hey Jeanette,

The only reason I don't do that anymore is because this is what I found one day - it looked like a piece of serger chain when I unfolded it so I thought maybe if a person was too enthusiastic I might be setting them up for trouble.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]511171[/ATTACH]

The parts dishes are a good idea. Someone else recently recommended a egg carton - that's a great free solution. I use a lot of magnetic dishes because klutzy me - I sometimes will up-end a dish and yard sale the screws all over the room. I'm convinced there's a black hole leading from my studio (formerly my shop) to someone else's garage or shop. So.... if anyone finds a FW gib screw they have no idea where it came from... I'll send you an address and keep your email on "speed dial" as the other end of my black hole! Good thing it was still a listed replacement part. It was easily 2 years ago I lost that one!
Attached Thumbnails ooops-.jpg  
Old 02-22-2015, 03:10 AM
Power Poster

I use a 9X11 sheet magnet on the bed of the machine - face up. If I work on anything small this magnet goes on the work. My sheet magnet came off DHs work truck - if you go to a sign shop they may have some if you want a good sized piece. And yes I take apart the tension, clean everything and re-assemble then adjust. It saves me a lot of time. They aren't as hard to do as you might think. Tammi's video takes a lot of the mystery out of it anyway. If I am working under the machine the magnet sheet goes under the machine. Some times I work with a magnet sheet in my lap.

Last edited by miriam; 02-22-2015 at 03:13 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I use a 9X11 sheet magnet on the bed of the machine - face up. If I work on anything small this magnet goes on the work. My sheet magnet came off DHs work truck - if you go to a sign shop they may have some if you want a good sized piece. And yes I take apart the tension, clean everything and re-assemble then adjust. It saves me a lot of time. They aren't as hard to do as you might think. Tammi's video takes a lot of the mystery out of it anyway. If I am working under the machine the magnet sheet goes under the machine. Some times I work with a magnet sheet in my lap.
*head smack!* I KNEW I was hording those fridge magnets that we get in the mail for something. Some of them are easily 4x6 and I think I have one bigger. I might just go and put them by my turntable.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
*head smack!* I KNEW I was hording those fridge magnets that we get in the mail for something. Some of them are easily 4x6 and I think I have one bigger. I might just go and put them by my turntable.
4x6 would be a nice size. I found one that is a 'sports team fan' magnet and it is about the size of the Singer 401 at the base... LOL I store mine under my cart - they stick just fine.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:00 PM

Great idea, Miriam, about the magnet. I don't have any around so will go check out a sign shop for a couple! I have had a couple of close call this last few days.