Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Help with skipping stitches! PLEASE!

  1. #1
    Super Member buslady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Thumb of Michigan
    Posts
    2,267
    Blog Entries
    7
    I am making hats and scarves for kids, some for my DGK's and some for charity. I am having a problem with my machine skipping stitches; I am using fleece. I noticed with the last quilt I used the fleece for I had the same problem. I have torn the machine down and took out a pile of "fluff" and oiled the machine, and changed the needle. Does anyone have a solution to this delemma? I am getting VERY frustrated. I have a Janome 6282 and a featherweight, both seem to have this issue. I am sure it is the fabric. Thanks for any and all help.

  2. #2
    Super Member KathyAire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,414
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    I am getting VERY frustrated. I have a Janome 6282 and a featherweight, both seem to have this issue. I am sure it is the fabric.
    I know how frustrating that is. I agree that it's not the machine but the fabric. Any fabric that creates a lot of lint is a problem. I would suggest that you stop often and clean the fuzz. I don't know of any way to stop creating fuzz.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    27
    Try using a top stitching needle. It is longer and should catch bobbin thread better. This just seems to be problem with sewing fleece. also try sewing slower.

  4. #4
    Super Member tomilu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    1,702
    Blog Entries
    14
    What needles are you using? Use a Schmetz or a comparable, not Singer. I even had a defective Schmetz that caused skipping.

  5. #5
    Super Member Shelbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,946
    When I sew fleece (I make a lot of double layer fleece mitts) I don't use a straight stitch. I use a slight zig zag stitch and loosen the tension and foot pressure a little and this seems to help prevent skipping.

  6. #6
    Super Member fireworkslover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    St. Cloud, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    When I sew fleece (I make a lot of double layer fleece mitts) I don't use a straight stitch. I use a slight zig zag stitch and loosen the tension and foot pressure a little and this seems to help prevent skipping.
    Yes, I was thinking to use a small zigzag stitch and change your tension for knits. Fleece is a knit afterall.

  7. #7
    kso
    kso is offline
    Senior Member kso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    808
    Try using a needle made for knit fabrics.

  8. #8
    Moderator kathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    on the Texas Coast
    Posts
    4,050
    i think it's a needle issiue more than anything else

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    13
    Try using a ball point needle. That used to be the solution when sewing knits or poylester.

  10. #10
    Junior Member Sandy-lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tasmania Australia
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelbie
    When I sew fleece (I make a lot of double layer fleece mitts) I don't use a straight stitch. I use a slight zig zag stitch and loosen the tension and foot pressure a little and this seems to help prevent skipping.
    Yes, I was thinking to use a small zigzag stitch and change your tension for knits. Fleece is a knit afterall.
    I agree plus try a specialist needle such as a ball point your LQS should be able help with these

  11. #11
    Super Member scowlkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,531
    Blog Entries
    11
    Also you can put a layer of tissue paper on the bottom and it helps prevent the lint getting into your machine. If your machine has an adjustment to increase the pressure on your foot, that will also help.

  12. #12
    Super Member EasyPeezy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,699
    Using the right needle makes a big difference. I think I used a denim needle
    last time I sewed microfleece but Schmetz also makes Stretch and Microtex
    which should also work. Also, remember that fleece/synthetic fabrics tend to
    dull needles quickly.

  13. #13
    Super Member buslady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Thumb of Michigan
    Posts
    2,267
    Blog Entries
    7
    Thank you guys for all the help! I knew i could count on you! I got a needle for knits and that did the trick. Something soooo simple. Thanks a bunch.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    512
    Try using your walking foot when sewing on fleece, the extra thickness of the fabric could be confusing your machine. I believe on Berninas it is called the differential foot which means the machine will sew on any thickness. Use a longer length stitch too.

    Carol J.

  15. #15
    Senior Member shrabar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Posts
    440
    I would use a washable stablizer on top it helps I do a lot of embroidery on fleece material.shrabar

  16. #16
    Super Member jitkaau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,119
    Whether by luck or design, I don't have any problem sewing this material. It is easier than other fabrics. So here is how I have it set up (if it is any help): I have a top stitch needle, usually 90 or 100 and a stitch length of 3 - 3.5. Best of luck.

  17. #17
    Super Member IBQUILTIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Fork Ca
    Posts
    8,257
    If you have a walking foot, it might make a difference too. When I notice the fuzz building up on my needle itself, its time to stop and brush it all out again. Its a pain, but worth the effort

  18. #18
    Junior Member ree-nee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Sweet Home, Alabama
    Posts
    264
    try a larger needle like one used for sewing denim.

  19. #19
    Super Member grammyj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Kenova,West Virginia
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by buslady
    I am making hats and scarves for kids, some for my DGK's and some for charity. I am having a problem with my machine skipping stitches; I am using fleece. I noticed with the last quilt I used the fleece for I had the same problem. I have torn the machine down and took out a pile of "fluff" and oiled the machine, and changed the needle. Does anyone have a solution to this delemma? I am getting VERY frustrated. I have a Janome 6282 and a featherweight, both seem to have this issue. I am sure it is the fabric. Thanks for any and all help.
    I always use a ball point needle on knits

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.