Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: help! Skipping stitches while sewing fleece

help! Skipping stitches while sewing fleece

I'm sewing a fleece scarf. When I sewed the first part where the thickness wasn't so bad I didn't have any problem. I was using coats & Clark regular all purpose thread. Then I turned the scarf right side out and go to sew a stop stitch and now I'm skipping stitches. I switched to a Guterman higher quality thread and it's still happening. I have a Janome at Memory Craft 8200. Does anybody have any ideas why this is happening?
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

Put in a new, size 90 needle and make sure it's pushed all the way up. If that doesn't work, your timing may be off, and you'll have to take it to the shop.
    Annette in Utah

I would suggest a ball point needle, which is made for knits.

Check to make sure your thread hasn't slipped out of the tension disks. I had a similar problem with my 6600 and fleece and I don't know if it's static or what, but I'd get bad tension and nasty noises and retreading fixed my problem. Just a thought.

Blog Entries
    Is your presser foot flat? If it is tipping as you sew, you will get skipped stitches. This happens when going over thick seam allowances in jeans, for example. If this is the cause of the skipped stitches, the solution is to place a shim under whichever part of the presser foot that is tilting down -- usually the back of the foot, but could be the right side also. I am wondering if the seam allowance in conjunction with your distance from the seam is causing your presser foot to tilt to one side (higher on one side or the other). The shim can be a small piece of plastic or cardboard.

When sewing fleece, I always use a ball point needle, a walking foot and a zig zag stitch. The zig zag doesn't have to be very wide, just a bit. I had skipped stitches until I did these things. Not sure which of the three actually prevented the skipped stitches. Craftsy has a good class on sewing with knits if you're interested in learning more. The first project is a pullover hoodie that comes out really well.

make sure you are not pulling the fleece through the foot and feed dogs. When I sew fleece (not often) I let the feed dogs and presser foot do all the work. My job is to keep it going through straight.

All the suggestions are good. Hope you find a solution.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I have a 8200 and it isn't the best machine for thick seams. I use a shim when I sew jeans and take it very slow. I just made a fleece scarf and I used polyester thread, a topstitch needle and a shim and took it really slow and didn't have a problem. I think the sharp needle with a larger eye helps the thread go through the material. Hope all of these suggestions work.

Power Poster
    on really thick seams - such as a hem on a pair of jeans - along with using a shim - and a heavier needle, I will manually turn the wheel stitch by stitch until I am over the lump.

Thank you all for your helpful comments. I ended up ripping out the errant seam, turning the scarf back inside out and trinning the seam allowance. I also slowed my sewing speed, and this pretty much solved the issue.
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

When sewing fleece I use my Singer Featherweight which sews without any issues. I have a Janome which always makes so much noise when going over a thick seam.

Blog Entries
    Make sure you are using the right sized needle, use a walking foot if you have one and if needed loosen the tension a bit. Rarely would timing be an issue if it was sewing fine before the thick fleece
    The expert's mind has no room to learn while the beginner's mind is free to know everything....

Blog Entries
    Clean out the fuzz in the bobbin case! I sew a lot of fleece blankets (double thickness) and it will pick up fuzz quickly. I use an 80 needle, walking foot( let it pull fabric thru , that is what it is for) and a zig zag is what i use as it gives stretch on the blanket and length the stitch length slightly! Clean out the fuzz in the bobbin case if most important, try that first. Good luck. P.S. I make fleece blankets for homeless people and I always have to clean out the bobbin area!!!!

I made a fleece hat the other day and did really well using my walking foot. It kept it from slipping.
    Education makes a people easy to lead;difficult to govern; and impossible to enslave