Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: janome sewing machine skipping stitches.

janome sewing machine skipping stitches.

my janome 1600p is skipping stitches and breaking threads. i tested it before i put the and it was fine. what makes this happen when i put a quilt on? I have picked out stitches until i am ready to give up. any ideas would be appreciated. I have changed the needle cleaned the feed dogs loosened the thread tension nothing works . this quilt is a Christmas present, looks like it may not get finished. My husband says get rid of the machine but i think it is probably a tension problem and i will be first to say i don't know much about getting good tension.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like the wrong type of needle to me. I would try a jeans or a topstitch needle. What are you using?
    It also could be too much drag on the quilt sandwich. Make sure you it is supported and not pulling in any direction when under the foot.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Could be a thread problem, change thread and try again. Not all machines like every thread. When I've tried everything else often I find a thread change fixes the problems. ( sometimes I think, why didn't I try that first?)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I am using a Schmetz HL High Speed needle as was recommended by Janome Dealer.

Blog Entries
    What size needle are you using? You may need a larger one.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    i would say drag and pull on quilt needs to be distributed better.

I find it better to use same thread top and bottom, change needle as maybe a burr on needle, if you are FMQ have you loosened your tension?

Try zig zagging, and if it doesn't pick up on one side, the timing is out, and will need to go to the repair shop. Good luck!
    Creative clutter is better than idle neatness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanatoone View Post
    I am using a Schmetz HL High Speed needle as was recommended by Janome Dealer.
    What size? Size is as important as type, especially with FMQ.

Edit: Also, the type of thread you are using can determine what size needle you need. What thread are you using in top and bobbin?

Edit 2: A common cause of this problem is also having a tiny piece of lint or thread stuck in the upper tension discs. You can "floss" your discs with multiple strands of thread between your hands, or by using *unwaxed* dental floss.
    Last edited by Prism99; 12-11-2015 at 01:16 PM.

my janome 1600p is skipping stitches and breaking threads. i tested it before i put the and it was fine My husband says get rid of the machine but i think it is probably a tension problem and i will be first to say i don't know much about getting good tension.
    get rid of a 1000.00 dollar machine? Tell him to bite his tongue. hard

How long has it been since you've had it serviced? The new machines are really finely machined, and lint gets everywhere we can't. all the ideas above are good. Please come back and tell us what worked!

I use isocord thread. Have been using it for a couple years with no problems until lately. Last quilt broke threads really bad so i made a large piece of fabric with backing batting and used the fabric for top. i ran the machine fast and slow . made circles on fabric .It didn't miss a stitch or break a thread . sewed a beautiful stitch I have changed needle twice cleaned machine. It was serviced about three months ago. i also loosened the tension on the top thread.

Blog Entries
    I use a size 18 needle for FMQ and I try to use a finer thread in the bobbin. For me this combination has produced the best results for me. Thicker threads on the top will cause skipped stitches for me on curves so I do not buy them anymore. Good luck!
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    clean it out good every time before you start 'quilting'. and use the same thread top and bottom. I was having trouble one time, and changed needles, and ran the thread thru both loops of first top, tall, silver thread guide. must have been holding my mouth right then, because it started working..
    But #1......clean it good before you start quilting a quilt......

my needle is a Schmetz HLx5 high speed. that is all it says on the package.

i am doing a pantograph on a little Grace 2 frame.

Ah ha! If you're on a Little Gracie frame, is your fabric stretched too tight? You don't want it to be a trampoline. And is the quilt surface level instead of angled? I agree with the others about using a larger needle. Below where it says Schmetz HLx5, it should say a size like 80/12 or 90/14 or 100/16. You probably want the 100/16.

The zig-zag test is a great way to test if the timing is off.

Good Luck with your quilting!
    Last edited by quiltedsunshine; 12-11-2015 at 09:27 PM. Reason: left something out...
    Annette in Utah

Skipped stitches means the threads are not locking...bobbin and spool thread. This is usually caused by the needle not matching your thread.....always use a 90/14 top stitch needle when quilting. The larger eye allows the thread and needle to get down to the bobbin thread easier...thus no skipping. Let us know what works for you, there are a lot of Janome owners out there. I have five.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    Could be a thread problem, change thread and try again. Not all machines like every thread. When I've tried everything else often I find a thread change fixes the problems. ( sometimes I think, why didn't I try that first?)
    I agree. This week I wanted to sew on my red eye Singer, threaded it with Superior thread and all I could get were nests on the back side. Tried setting the tension and several other options. I know that when I last sewed on it, it worked fine. Finally I put the Connecting Thread back in and it sewed great. Certain machines like certain threads. Made a believer out of me.Sharon
    In my dream world, fabric is free and sewing makes you thin.

Sharon

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I had this problem with my Janome and it was most frustrating. What it turned out to be was the fabric/needle combination. I was sewing with batiks and there was one blue batik where this was happening. I changed my needle to a sharp so that it was piercing the fabric better - prior was using a universal which had a duller point - and that took care of the problem. Because of that I rarely use universal needles anymore and just stick with a topstitch or sharp which both have a sharper point. Top stitch has a larger eye on it.
    I also occasionally have skipped stitches when I am sewing over bulky seams too. Look to see if there is any pattern to where the skipped stitches are. A particular fabric, seam etc. That might help narrow down the problem

I'd make sure you're threading the machine properly per the book.
    Hello from Shenandoah Valley, VA. Quilting a few years. Love the process of creating the quilt top, but don't like making the sandwich of top, batting and backing as much. We have two Labrador Retrievers, a yellow and a chocolate. Blessings to all!

I, too had this problem with my Janome 7700 Memory Craft. After multiple cleanings and needle changes I learned that 'thread delivery' played a key part in even and unbroken stitches. If your spool is stack wound, it must stand upright so thread comes off the spool horizontally, preventing twists. It simply unwinds. If the thread is cross-wound on the spool, it should deliver off the end of the spool. My machine has the capability of both deliveries. I simply use the bobbin spindle for stand-wound spools. There are several different spool holder stands on the market that can help this issue too. Also, some threads have a very slippery surface. Increase top tension for these. Hope this helps.

Blog Entries
    i am doing a pantograph on a little Grace 2 frame.
    Have you used this machine on a frame before? Because frame quilting requires different tension settings from sit-down quilting. If you have not yet tried it, I recommend following the instructions in this Jamie Wallen Youtube video (applies to domestic machines as well as longarms when frame quilting):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM

Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs
    Blog Entries
    I don't have any suggestions not listed above, except to try using a thread stand and/or thread net. My Janome 1600p has another funny little quirk. If I hit the gas too hard when beginning, the thread can jump out of the thread path, wrap around the guide between the tension discs and the take up lever the wrong way, and break--hard. It broke a titanium needle a while ago.
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it difficult to plan the day.

Kris

yes i have always used this frame.

I had a similar issue with my Janome 7700. I was using old thread and and universal needle on batiques, that was my issue. So I would say:

1) Try a needle from a different pack incase it was a quality control issue on the run of needles.
    2) Try a different thread
    3) If you have leftover fabric, put together a little practice sandwich and see if you are having the same issue. If you don't, compare what is different between the two.

Hope that helps. I know these issues can be so frustrating when you are on a deadline.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work will not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." --Henry David Thoreau

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast