Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing machine skipping stitches >

Sewing machine skipping stitches

Sewing machine skipping stitches

Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 AM

Default Sewing machine skipping stitches

Happy Friday to all!

I was looking forward to getting some sewing done this weekend but now I'm not so sure... I bought a Janome 8900 about six months ago and am superhappy with some features of it but am having issues with the machine skipping stitches. :-( Initially it happened mostly when going over seams, it's really sensitive to changes in thickness. But now it happens even when there are just two layers of fabric, no pins, no seams to go over. Apart from the obvious rethreading, I have tried adjusting the tension, changing the needle, switching to a different bobbin, switching out the thread altogether but nothing seems to help - I'm at a loss! Has anyone experienced something similar and if so, how did you get it resolved? My last resort will be to take it back to the dealer but I really want to sew this weekend so hoping there's a fix I can do myself... Thanks in advance!
Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 AM

Call your dealer - I'm betting they can solve your problem over the phone. Make sure you match your needle size to your thread size. That is critical for my machine.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

I wonder if the needle is seated correctly. If it's not pushed all the way up, you can get skipped stitches.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Power Poster

Was it new or refurbished? It sounds like you have tried all the obvious fixes... A new machine should not skip unless you hit something to knock the timing off. Do you remember breaking a needle or hitting a pin? Sometimes that could do it and it means a trip to the repairman. When my timing was off it was skipping stitches occasionally on straight sewing but wouldn't work well on zig zag or FMQ at all. Try some of the fancy stitches and see if they sew well.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MiaA View Post
.... changing the needle ....
Looks like you've tried most of the regular things.
Not sure what "changing the needle" means to you ... try different sizes and types of needles (not just a new needle of the same as you've been using (and yes, you may have already done so)
Old 08-02-2013, 10:41 AM

My Janome 6600 will skip stitches (1 here ... then sew great for 6", then skip another - and so on) when there is a small bit of thread or lint somewhere in the bobbin area.

Take the bobbin and bobbin race out and give the whole thing a thorough cleaning.

Sometimes I'll leave the bobbin race out, thread my needle and rotate my fly-wheel to make a "stitch" (without bobbin thread). The act of the top thread moving through the machine and around the bobbin sometimes catches unseen bits of thread/lint etc.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:12 AM

Mine had been sewing perfectly then started acting up something fierce. Tried all the obvious as you have done, then tried them again, then fiddled around with making extra sure there wasn't something caught in the bobbin/ feed dog area. Finally out popped a tiny bit of a broken needle. So keep at it!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

My Janome MC4800 has always skipped one stitch when doing Blanket stitches. last night it really did it and I gave up and cleaned it. Fuzz all under the bobbin. So a good clean might help but other than that, you may have to ask your Dealer.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:48 PM

When ever that happens to me it usually means the machine needs a good clean and oil.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:02 PM

Agree with DogHouseMom, that worked on my janome, unscrewing the plate and getting all the fluff out with the little brush. Hope you find an answer soon, so frustrating ....