Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Featherweight

Here is my thoughts....are you in a big hurry to have a Featherweight? Sometimes you can just put the word out to family and friends (via Facebook) that you are looking for a specific sewing machine called a Featherweight and include pics. Who knows? You could get lucky and have one given to you! My neighbor came over to my house one day and gave me two machines, 1950 and 1953 Featherweights....in pristine condition and including the cases. He had been watching me work in my garage and wondered what I was doing. He came over and saw me stripping and repainting a Featherweight and asked if I was still looking for them. Sure I said. Then a few months later... wa-la....

You just never know until you put the word out.

Try dryer sheets to get rid of the musty smell in your case, or sitting it in the sunshine. Any oder avsorber would help with that I would think. I bought my FW to take to my quilting group because it is light weight. I am also in a FW club offered by a LQS so it travels there too. It is a nice sturdy machine and too cute!
    A time to tear, And a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, And a time to speak;

Banned
    Definitely a fair price.

I think it's a fantastic price. I've paid between $250-$300 for all five of mine.
    Karen in Kentucky

Blog Entries
    I think that musty smell is an old glue smell that was used on all the cases. I leave a bar of Irish Spring in the case when it is empty.

Blog Entries
    Yes, that's a fair price! Hope you get it and enjoy it.
    Mavis

Oh, I'm so excited for you. I have 4 FWs, $280, free, $225 and $100. I spent the most on my first one. It sounds like a very fair price to me. Having the attachments and a zigzag are great, too. 2 of my machines are 1950s and they are really nice. Having measurements on the throatplate is very handy..... and I love to hear the click, click,click of the motor as she sews. Do show us a picture of your new lady......and, welcome to the FW club.

It sounds like a fair price to me, but only if you plan on using it. My DH wants to know why I need 3 FWs and I tell him that I need them as backups. He thinks I'm nuts, but I love those little machines. They're great for piecing.

Quote Originally Posted by Reba'squilts View Post
    Thanks for all the replies...it does have a case, looks like a new cord..or the cord was a rubber type from the start. The case has a musty smell to it, I guess I could do something about that. The bobbin case is there, with a few extra bobbins. The needle that is in it is huge. Can you buy needles for it at Joann's or do you have to order on Internet? If I buy it I will sew on it but truthfully I love sewing on my diamond. So perhaps this is a quest. I love to go out and find things! I was hoping to find an old machine at a thrift shop. Perfect machine for 20 dollars! I know...I am a dreamer! Carol aka Reba
    Reba - the musty case can be freshened with a couple of dryer sheets. Mine smelled like it was in a damp, dank basement, but once the dryer sheets came to its rescue, it's much more pleasant to be around!

It sounds like a reasonable price. Go for it, and have fun!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast