Finally got her inside

Old 04-12-2014, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I think this is one of my favorite looking machines. I have the WW9 and every time I see one with Singer on it, I'm tempted . . .
Cathy,
My first 9w-7 was bought to use the treadle as parts to fix another one. The cabinet and treadle had been damaged in transit. The owner left the head in the treadle and just set it up right in the back of the moving truck. He hit a huge bump and when the back of the truck came down hard the machine head tore the hinges out of the cabinet and almost crashed through the curved part below. The foot pedal broke the curved hinge parts off the center piece of the treadle frame. Pretty pathetic. I've got some of the wood repaired, but I do not have anyone near me that can, or is willing to braze cast iron. So I'm looking for another treadle cabinet for the head.

The Second 9W-7, this one was given to us by my SIL. It had been used as an aquarium stand ..... . Took lots of work but I was able to repair this one.

Neither did I search out to buy. I have since found out that I like the 9W-7s better than the 66s or 15s.

Joe
Old 04-12-2014, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
Very pretty! I also like your idea of making a cover to protect it from the cats. I should do that too. My cats love lounging around my sewing stuff.
~ Cindy
Cindy,

I've done that with most all of my other wooden cabinet machines. Here's a pic of my Singer 66 treadle #2 under it's cover:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]471276[/ATTACH]

I'm gonna do this one a wee bit different than those I'd done in the past.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails 2-treadle-cover-finished-f.jpg  
Old 04-12-2014, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Cindy,

I've done that with most all of my other wooden cabinet machines. Here's a pic of my Singer 66 treadle #2 under it's cover:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]471276[/ATTACH]

I'm gonna do this one a wee bit different than those I'd done in the past.

Joe
Joe what a fabulous idea! I love yours, it is very cool. Just think.....if more owners would have done that way back when we wouldn't have to refinish just about every top we see! I suck at making my own patterns. Care to share how you went about creating this?

Last edited by Cogito; 04-12-2014 at 05:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:57 AM

Lovely! That's a beautiful cabinet, too.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Jp,

Yes it is a back clamp type of foot. The presser foot bar has a slot in it, the top of the foot slides into the slot. The screw passes through the back of the bar, the foot and threads into the front of the bar.

Not the same as the back clamp 66s, but the same concept.

Joe
Thanks Joe. Also, I am curious what you like about this machine better than the 66s and 15s? And, I like the cover you made for the cabinet, good idea. My thought had been to just make something to lay on the top but doing it your way will keep it from shifting or falling off. I can see that would be necessary w/cats, mine cats stay out most of the time.

Jp
Old 04-12-2014, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Pretty machine, and nice bunch of accessories!
Old 04-12-2014, 08:36 AM

Cogito,

No pattern for that one. I just dug through my wifes scrap tub and cut 3.5" wide strips of what I found. Some have 45º ends some are square. I just sewed them together, then put the backing on, then quilted it, then cut the corners where it folded down and met out and then put the binding on it.

Joe
Old 04-12-2014, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by minibarn View Post
Thanks Joe. Also, I am curious what you like about this machine better than the 66s and 15s? And, I like the cover you made for the cabinet, good idea. My thought had been to just make something to lay on the top but doing it your way will keep it from shifting or falling off. I can see that would be necessary w/cats, mine cats stay out most of the time.

Jp
Jp,

Hope I don't make this to complicated.

When you start treadling a 66 or 15 or any of the later Singers you have to be careful to get the hand wheel turning counter clock wise or towards you. Other wise thread jams and breakage will happen.
The problem is, the geometry of the treadle mechanism seems to want to go clockwise. So you're kind of fighting it.
Once you get the machine turning, no problem. And you do get used to how it works.

The 9W-7 turns clockwise from the start (only Singer to turn this direction, or so I've read) so since the treadle wants to go clockwise when you start treadling, you're not fighting it. Everything just works together.
The 9W-7 is also a bit smoother than the 66s for some reason. Not sure why, but it was actually advertised as being very smooth by Singer.

And, it has a very large arch with lots of room under it.

Joe
Old 04-12-2014, 11:32 AM

Very pretty!
Old 04-12-2014, 07:33 PM

Joe, thanks for explaining. I have a White that "goes the other way" and I always have to stop and think before treadling because I am so use to going towards myself, actually it is a bit awkward going away from myself. So, I am wondering...do you spin the hand wheel to get started or just push the treadle peddle? Some people are able to do it that way, but I rarely get going right if I try.

Sounds like an interesting machine you have.

Jp