Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Fixing a Singer 101-3 - Parts and Questions! >

Fixing a Singer 101-3 - Parts and Questions!

Fixing a Singer 101-3 - Parts and Questions!

Old 03-31-2015, 11:00 AM

Default Fixing a Singer 101-3 - Parts and Questions!

Hi! I recently acquired a 1927 Singer model 101-3. I have sent here from a post I put up on a reddit sewing forum. They thought you fine people could help me.

The machine seems to be in really great shape but was missing a few parts. I've been lucky in that all the parts move, the motor is supposed to work, and the table it's in is stunning. I've cleaned up all the parts and have determined what's missing and was has to be replaced. Luckily the only important parts I need are the power cable and some needles.

It took me a while to figure our that this machine isn't supposed to have a belt (potted motor). I was able to get the parts guide online for this model but when googling the item I need I am seeing something weird. Are 101-3 parts interchangeable with the 201 models?
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Cord-Sin...ORE-SCE122.htm I seem to only be finding 201 model parts when I look up parts for my model. I am finding conflicting information. Some people say they are they same machine except one is cast iron with a knee guide, and one is aluminum with a foot pedal. Some people in forums are saying you can't interchange these parts, they just look like they could be interchangeable. Also this is a knee guided machine. I am seeing a lot of 201 power cord and pedal combinations. Would I be able to use a foot petal if I got one of these? Forgive me if some of my vocabulary might not be on point. I've been self taught but feel pretty good about getting this machine up and running. Thanks!

Album of pictures if anyone needs it, or in case this is not the machine I think it is: http://imgur.com/a/qq3qW

Old 03-31-2015, 11:49 AM

Unfortunately I don't know the answers to any of your questions but I think you got pointed to the right spot. Someone a lot more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly, I'm sure!

She's a beautiful machine, looks almost brand new! Congrats on your new "toy".
Old 03-31-2015, 11:50 AM

Welcome!
The 101 and 201 are different machines but they do have similarities. They're both full rotary hook horizontal bobbin designs. Both machines take standard 15x1 needles and class 66 bobbins. Both are available pretty much everywhere.
Rodney
Old 03-31-2015, 12:10 PM

Whether your an use the foot pedal depends on what style of 101 you have. I have one that uses a knee pedal, but the control is actually built into the bottom of the machine. Others use the typical "foot pedal on the cabient' arrangement - and those can use a regular foot pedal, just need to wire it in.

I think you are getting confused between the two versions of the 101, the 201 is very, very different. I've owned both of the 101-s and the differences are basically what you mention.

I had one for parts, that DH stripped quite a bit off, so if you need something, I may have it.

This is my "control cast inside" 101

Old 03-31-2015, 12:16 PM

I forgot to add. The 201 will take a different wire set than a 101. The 101 my daughter has is wired to an old style ceramic knee controller. It doesn't have the plug connection a 201 would have.
We can help you with any wiring questions you have.
You can download a free manual at Singerco.com. You'll find them in Resources.
BTW: My daughter's 101 makes some of the prettiest straight stitches I have ever seen.
Rodney

EDIT: Macybaby was typing at the same time as me. She is correct. There are 2 different styles of 101.

Last edited by Rodney; 03-31-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:19 PM

looks like the 101-1, 2, 3 and 4 are cast - can't determine which is the one with the built in controller though

101-10 and 101-11 are the aluminum models

The 101 isn't that common, and while you can easily find aftermarket parts for the 201, I doubt you'll find any for the 101.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
looks like the 101-1, 2, 3 and 4 are cast - can't determine which is the one with the built in controller though

The 101 isn't that common, and while you can easily find aftermarket parts for the 201, I doubt you'll find any for the 101.
Mine seems to be the 101-3 as far as I have been able to research. It's cast iron. All I need is a power cable and some needles. Unfortunately I simply cannot get the machine running without the power cable and I'm not sure what I can get or what I might be able to modify to work. I only got the machine and table so I have no other lose parts. I am able to at least get the bobbins and needles without an issues (thanks to thse who helped me out with that!) but the power cord is the problem for me.

Mine has a knee press and not a foot press. The power cable seems to be an old fashioned horizontal three prong. I have a picture of both in the imgur link. I just don't know where to find the right part or what the right part is.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:10 PM

what you have is a machine that someone else has already rewired to take the Singer regular three prong plug. Since it's got the pedal mounted for knee use, it's likely you need the ONE lead plug (not the two lead plug).

If you unwire the pedal, you can wire it up to take the double lead plug that has the floor pedal in the loop.

If you look for original wires for a 101 - they aren't going to work with this rewired machine - it does take the plug that works for the 201 and those after.

Last edited by Macybaby; 03-31-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:00 PM

I missed that picture the first time around. The wiring looks competent in the picture. Can you ask the person you got it from if they still have the power cord?
Rodney
Old 03-31-2015, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
what you have is a machine that someone else has already rewired to take the Singer regular three prong plug. Since it's got the pedal mounted for knee use, it's likely you need the ONE lead plug (not the two lead plug).

If you unwire the pedal, you can wire it up to take the double lead plug that has the floor pedal in the loop.

If you look for original wires for a 101 - they aren't going to work with this rewired machine - it does take the plug that works for the 201 and those after.
So I should grab up a 201 cord and give that a whirl? I know I can find those. Every time I look for a 101 power cord I keep getting 201 cords.

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I missed that picture the first time around. The wiring looks competent in the picture. Can you ask the person you got it from if they still have the power cord?
Rodney
They did have a cord and attachments but could not find them when we met up. I asked them if they ever found them if they'd let me know and I would meet with them. However, I doubt I will ever hear from them again. All I know is that it's been in the same family since 1927 and that the last time it was used was about 10 years ago to make curtains.