Foot Pedal help!

Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 AM

Default Foot Pedal help!

So I was finally feeling gutsy enough to rewire a foot pedal that came with a Singer 15. The wires were super scary, frayed, and a couple of different colors. This is what I found in the actual pedal. This is my first attempt at something electrical EVER, so be gentle.
Should I attempt this or should I be safe and chuck it and buy a new one?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]447511[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]447513[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]447516[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails foot-pedal-1-.jpg   foot-pedal-2-.jpg   foot-pedal-3-.jpg  
Old 11-18-2013, 06:55 AM

Looks like someone stred that one in a bucket of water. Have you tested it to see if it still works? I wouldn't chuck it if it works. It's been my experience that new electric anything isn't going to be built as well as the older stuff. Clean up the inside as best you can without taking it more apart and replace the power cord. Looks like there's just enough room in the case where the power cord exits for an "Underwriter's knot". Look that up and tie one in the new power cord before you put things back together. The knot will keep the cord from pulling out. Screw the new wires on clockwise like the old ones. It helps the wires stay under the screws better. Keep the white wire and black wire on the same side as the old ones. It may not matter but why take chances?
I hope this helps,
Rodney
Old 11-18-2013, 07:38 AM

Anastasia,

As Rodney said that controller has been flooded and is badly rusted.
At the least it will need to be cleaned thoroughly inside the ceramic shell ( white part ) as well as the metal parts.
I probably is fixable, just take your time with it.
Test it first to see if it works and if it does give it a shot.

There isn't really a need for an underwriters knot on these. The way the body parts are made puts a kink on the cord and holds it but if you want to put one in it won't hurt.

Joe
Old 11-18-2013, 12:53 PM

Thank you Joe and Rodney.
I don't have anything to test it with minus an outlet (no), I'll just go with I'm out of my depth on that one. There's a fellow that shows up at a local flea market with a huge box of foot controls but I imagine I won't see him again until spring.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:09 PM

Anastasia,

I have several of the foot controllers Sew-Classic sells. Both resistance and electronic type. All of them have worked very well. The controller you have is a resistance type. Since you have to rewire the machine why not just order the wiring set and a new controller from Sew-Classic? That way your machine will be useable and you could work on the OEM controller at your leisure.

Joe
Old 11-18-2013, 05:03 PM

That was pretty much the plan. I just needed to be be sure it wasn't going to be easy peasy before I did that. Then I would feel silly.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Looks like someone stred that one in a bucket of water.
... then added some salt just to make sure! That's far more rusted than anything I've seen before. I personally wouldn't attempt to get it working (although it's possible) because there are plenty of much better ones around. Just me, but it'd go in the "use as a spare" category. The carbon discs and bakelite bits would be useful (they tend to break during cleaning). If you ever need to fix one up, Tammi's blog has her "Singer at the races" article, which is invaluable (http://www.archaicarcane.com/singerattheraces/).
Old 11-18-2013, 08:21 PM

Ok, thanks Joe. I see how the housing works now. No room for a knot where I thought one should go.
Rodney
Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 PM

This came from a 15 I bought and the table was water wrecked. It was nearly sealed together.
I'm kind of assuming all the electrical is going to need to be replaced. Motor and light fixture too. I probably will just to be safe.

Christmas is coming eh?
Old 11-18-2013, 09:31 PM

I wonder if it came from New Orleans or somewhere that was hit by hurricane. Lots of stuff got moved around that had been soaked in salt water.

Joe