Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
FOUND my Phoenix 27, but have some questions >

FOUND my Phoenix 27, but have some questions

FOUND my Phoenix 27, but have some questions

Old 03-08-2014, 01:15 PM

Default FOUND my Phoenix 27, but have some questions

Discovered this machine which was on my "bucket list" of machines and it came home with us, but having never had a treadle I have some questions. When winding the bobbin should it sorta snap into the winding position without me having to hold it??? Do any of you treadle on a carpeted floor? Ddoes it hinder the motion?? What size needles does the Singer 27 take. I have downloaded a manual, but doesn't mention the needle size...only says to use Singer needles... I have a 66 and the needles look the same length, except the one in the 27 has a long groove in it?? Also came with some goodies...the puzzle box and some other curved needles...what were they used for...rugs?? Also a bungie cord looking thing that I have no idea if it is a sewing thing. This machine was in excellent but dry condition, and I'm loving it.. Thanks for all your input.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]466272[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]466273[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]466274[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]466275[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 2014-treadle-059.jpg   2014-treadle-062.jpg   2014-treadle-063.jpg   2014-treadle-064.jpg  
Old 03-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Power Poster

Nice haul! Muv has a lot of videos about using the long bobbin - you will enjoy her info a lot more than my feeble attempts. Look on the sticky about cleaning - there are more links to her info. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...v-t167789.html
ALSO be sure to read her blog - there is a lot of info on there, too. I'm sure you will love that machine. Looks like some sail maker needles. The machine takes regular needles. You are going to have way too much fun!

Last edited by miriam; 03-08-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:21 PM

I do believe the Singer 27s take the regular 15x1 (Singer 20-20) needles. Yes I treadle on carpet. Yes the carpet hinders the treadle foot plates motion, so I use the rubber furniture pads under the treadle rollers. That lifts it up almost a half inch give or take a bit. Enough to treadle it anyway.

WOW! That machine is PURTY! Looks almost brand new. Some oil and a bit of cleaning should get it sewing lickity split < my mom used to say that .
That cabinet is yummy .

I "think" that bungy looking thing with the slotted leather tabs is to put on your reading / sewing glasses so you can hang them around your neck when your not using them.

Joe
Old 03-09-2014, 03:39 AM

As you probably noticed, your attachment book has nothing to do with your machine or the set of attachments you have.

This machine takes the regular size Singer needles, shuttle and bobbin - all rather easily to obtain (one of the great things about Singers).

I use the round rubber/plastic furniture pads for the treadle on carpet. They are the same pads I use on the hardwood floor, and that is what they are sold for. They are about 2" in diameter, and since my carpet is short, dense pile on a thick pad, this seems to be enough to keep them from sinking in too much. I have four treadles on the same carpet, the rest are on either hardwood or laminate. It this does not work, DH is going to cut small blocks of wood and router out indentations to hold the wheels (so it won't roll off).
Old 03-09-2014, 05:28 AM

Thanks for all you comments...I will be looking for the furniture pads...hadn't thought of that, and I agree with you Joe..that is probably to hold eye glasses. Still need to know about the bobbin winder..I have been able to wind the two long bobbins that came with it but it was a chore since I had to press and hold the bobbin in place to wind it, I'm wondering if the spring inside is out of place...I can tell there is one in there, but I don't really know what it's supposed to "feel" like when I try to wind a bobbin.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:30 PM

Well done Colleen, your 27 is in remarkable condition. I'm sure you know it's from 1907.
When winding the bobbin, I trap the end of the thread between the bobbin and the winder. Can't recall where I read that but it's the only thing that works easily. Yes the bobbin "snaps" into the winder: The bobbins have a little round bit on the ends, they look like a ball from a ball point pen.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:37 AM

WOW! That is a beautiful machine and a great find! Have a grand time getting to know her!