Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Griest Decorative Zigzagger #2 >

Griest Decorative Zigzagger #2

Griest Decorative Zigzagger #2

Old 04-16-2016, 08:47 AM

Default Griest Decorative Zigzagger #2

This was in a group of attachments that I purchased some time ago. This is a Greist Decorative ZZ #2. I didn't give it much thought until my sister was wanting a ZZ for her featherweight and I thought this would work. However, the problem is I do not know how to attach this ZZ to a sewing machine. There is just no hole to screw it to the needle bar and the opening is way different. Does anyone know how you would go about attaching this to your sewing machine. I think it would be a really neat attachment if I could get it working.
Attached Thumbnails front-disks.jpg   how-connect-machine-1.jpg   how-connect-machine.jpg   shows-greist-name.jpg  
Old 04-16-2016, 09:46 AM

This one will only work on a top clamp machine - and it's specifically for WHITE machines.

It will not work with side clamp machines.

Greist made the same unit to for short shank side clamp, National top clamp, Free/NewHome top clamp and White top clamp.

These are the top clamp types - so make sure you don't get any of these if you need side clamp - which looks "normal" LOL!!

Last edited by Macybaby; 04-16-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:53 AM

This is a blind hemmer - to show the difference. Left is short shank side clamp, right is top clamp White. For the White machines, you actually remove the top clamp adaptor and mount the unit directly to the round presser foot bar. White also has a bit more distance between the presser foot bar and the needle bar, so if you do manage to get one to mount on a different machine, make sure the needle is not going to hit the foot before you start sewing.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:23 AM

Thanks Cathy for this valuable information. You are a walking encyclopedia of sewing machine information and so very helpful to those of us who are not nearly so knowledgable. I will never use this attachment so I will try to find a good home for it.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:42 AM

Thank you for the info! I had thought those types of clamps where for Singer style high or low shank. I wonder if I could get them to work on my Davis Minnesota or National Two Spool, but that's definitely a tinkering project for another day seeing as I don't have any of those attachments and have a zig zag machine.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:37 AM

The Davis have an offset presser bar, I don't think they would line up correctly, the National presser bar is about 1/8" closer to the needle bar than the White. I've tried some White attachments on a National, and not had them line up with the needle correctly. And with some, they were too "short" so they did not hold teh fabric firm against the feed dogs.

I love vintage attachments - it's the main reason I have such a variety of machines - so I can have a machine for each type of attachment set.