Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Help need on Featherweight motor wiring connectors...

Help need on Featherweight motor wiring connectors...

My 1938 FW is now freshly painted and sealed. I'm putting the machine back together and I've decided that the motor wiring connectors probably need to be replaced because the wiring is frayed. See pics in my other thread on 'Refinishing my Featherweight." Can I replace the round connectors with the horseshoe shaped connectors? If so then I'm good because I have some of those already...if not where do I find the round connectors? This is holding me up so any advice would be appreciated. Also, do the wires for the light and the on/off switch connect to the "B" connector together. Right now when I connect the wires the handwheel goes like gangbusters, but the needle bar the needle doesn't move.

Would really like to get this girl back together soon!!!

Stitch124,

Yes you can use the horse shoe connectors in place of the ring connectors. However the ring connectors are a bit better.
    You can buy those connectors at any hardware or automotive store.

Here's a 221 wiring diagram for you. Easy to find on the net if you search, unless, you're like me and search challenged.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Joe -- Thanks so much for that reply- I'm really pumped to get this girl up and running again. She was doing fine before I took her apart. Thought I took good enough notes to get her back but I guest not. Anyway, she LOOKS good even if she isn't working yet. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
    Can I replace the round connectors with the horseshoe shaped connectors? If so then I'm good because I have some of those already...if not where do I find the round connectors?
    Or you can try this: http://vssmb.blogspot.ca/2011/12/how...art-4-how.html
    It takes a little more time, but I think it looks better than the squish on connectors.

Also, do the wires for the light and the on/off switch connect to the "B" connector together. Right now when I connect the wires the handwheel goes like gangbusters, but the needle bar the needle doesn't move.
    I don't think I quite got what you were saying about the B connector, but it sounds like if the handwheel goes but the needlebar doesn't, that you have that little washer between the handwheel and the rest of the machine backwards. (Or forgot to tighten the clutch wheel to the "Sewing position", but I sincerely doubt that )
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99-, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Thanks Tammi - I'll check that out. Also, can either you or Joe tell me where these pieces go on the underside of the machine? It's a wire connector of some sort but I can't figure out where they go.
    Thanks, Julie

Yup,.. this should help (sorry about the grungy FW, I recently aquired it, and it's "in the queue" to be cleaned, oiled, etc. And the second pic isn't the clearest, I'm a little shaky today, that was my 3rd attempt and then I said it was clear enough. ):
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image   
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 99-, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Tammi -- That little washer between the handwheel and the machine is a bugger to get into position. Could you clarify where it goes just to be sure I put it in the correct place? Thanks. Julie

For that step, I tip the machine up on its extension bed (gently). Then it can't move or fall out.
    It should have the bent tabs out, like so:

Name:  IMG-20120930-00216.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  120.2 KB

Great -- got that part. Ok -- now...got another question. There's a big screw under the handwheel. Is there a smaller washer similar to the one in the picture above, that goes on that screw before it is screwed in or does it go inside the machine, behind the stitch length control lever, where there is a bearing that the control lever slips on to? does it go on top of that boxy looking thingy or no. I think I remember it coming out of that area, but when I put the machine back together, I left it off because it's so hard to get on.

Yikes! How many pieces do you have left over?? I thought it was completely back together besides a couple of clips?

I would need to see a pic of what you're trying to place. I have parts charts, and a poor FW that I can take apart, but I'd be guessing from here if I advised you as to which washer went where. If there's a part number on it too, I can look that up to figure out what it is and where it belongs.

I would definitely say don't leave any parts off. These machines were built when they didn't want to scrimp on the quality of the parts, but there weren't any extra parts put in for the heck of it either....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast