Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Help Needed for "Newbie" with MANY questions about Singer 128-23 >

Help Needed for "Newbie" with MANY questions about Singer 128-23

Help Needed for "Newbie" with MANY questions about Singer 128-23

Old 04-26-2014, 03:14 PM

Question Help Needed for "Newbie" with MANY questions about Singer 128-23

I just acquired a 1941 128-23 that is "knee" operated. This one has a black "crinkly" finish and the faceplate, the round plate on the back and the sliding plates on the bed of the machine have a blueish/black finish. The few decals it has look fine. It's missing the thread holder on the top but otherwise looks to be in good condition and has all the attachments etc. altho I'm not even going to attempt to plug it in since the wiring will have to be replaced! I'd like to start cleaning it up. I found Lizzie Leonard's You Tube videos about cleaning and oiling a vintage machine -- is that where I should start? But what should I use to clean up the crackly finish and the dark face plates etc. ?

Altho this is an electric machine, can it be "retro-fitted" to be a hand crank model? What are good sources for parts?

Any suggestions would be welcome. This is my first "project" machine so I'm going to be a "sponge" for information. Thank you in advance!
Old 04-26-2014, 03:39 PM

Lizzie's videos are a great place to start. It sounds like you have a blacksided machine which is pretty cool.
You need the big spoked handwheel to retrofit to a hand crank. You can try here, ebay and other sources for a vintage hand crank. Sew-classic.com has reproduction cranks along with long bobbins and new spool pins if you need them. I think they may have reproduction hand wheels too. They may have other parts for your machine as well.
A good wipedown with sewing machine oil is the recommended treatment for cleaning. Oil everything that moves or looks like it should move. Take off the faceplate and clean and oil inside there. Do the same with the slide plates and needle plate. Remove any lint before oiling. The motor may or may not have grease tubes. Clean them out and refill with grease. Use only Singer motor lube or vaseline to grease it.
Singerco.com has free downloadable manuals for many machines. I'm not sure if yours is one of them but there is a good chance they have it.
I hope this helps and we love pictures.
Rodney
Old 05-08-2014, 03:03 PM

Default Pictures of "Isaac" Part 1

So far, all I've done is take him apart. Here is first set of pictures. I'd really appreciate any comments you might have.
Attached Thumbnails singer-128-23.jpg   singer-128-23-1.jpg   singer-128-23-2.jpg   singer-128-23-4.jpg   singer-128-23-5.jpg  

singer-128-23-3.jpg  
Old 05-08-2014, 03:07 PM

Default Pictures of "Isaac" Part 2

Thanks for looking!
Attached Thumbnails singer-128-23-6.jpg   singer-128-23-7.jpg   singer-128-23-8.jpg   singer-128-23-9.jpg   singer-128-23-10.jpg  

Old 05-08-2014, 04:11 PM

That one is in such nice shape I'd keep it stock. It's very cool that you got the oil can and attachments with it.
Rodney