got a "new" singer 128

Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 PM

Default got a "new" singer 128

Well ok not new, actually my oldest 128 yet, but it is an electric "la vincedora" decorated one. A little rough, but I hope to shine this one up nicely for my Daughter. It just arrived in the mail today, hope to ne able to post the before pictures Friday. Maybe with luck I can do After pictures this weekend. It is a "G" serial number I think from about the mid 20's. Have to write the numbers down and look them up.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:12 PM

got some pictures

These are the "before" pictures, hoping I can make it shiny and pretty for her, thinking hard about touch up paint on some of the more worn decals. Any thoughts ?

looks like the ser# is from 1919 ?

Dan
Old 04-26-2012, 08:16 PM

What a beautiful little machine! She will clean up nicely.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:38 PM

Thank you for saving another old warrior. Good luck with the restoration.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:05 AM

Congratulations. Beautiful machine. I'm sure your daughter will love it. I have a 128 handcrank, sn Y3813472. It apppears that a previous owner used the arm of my machine for a pincushion. The paint has long deep scratches down across the arm caused by the pins repeatedly inserted into the cloth which also removed most of the "S" on Singer. I notice that yours has a bit of the "E" missing. Are the scraches deep on your machine and if so are you going to fill them? I haven't attempted to touch mine up. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:06 AM

Coloradosky:
the wear on the arm of my machine is from the "clamp" on light ( included but not pictured) and are not that deep, some of the gold leaf is completely gone, but I have heard that there is a gold metalic paint that is pretty close and I figure with some carefull brush work I can touch it up some, the only place I have a deep gouge is on the bed near the needle plate, looks like a screw driver slip. I am hoping a good cleaning and some black enamel can fill it... before I do the melt and smooth of the shellac. Going to do the best I can and keep in mind that the machine is aproaching 100 years of age, and is going to be a 10 Year Old Girls primary machine. It may not yet have seen its roughest times ;-) after all she will move out one day.... and being it is now in Alaska it is hard to say what travels await it in the future... just hope its next 100 years are happy and productive.

Dan
Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 AM

Dan, you can check with Glenn, but I'd do the shellac first. 1) you may not need the paint after that and 2) won't the products that soften the shellac damage the new paint? I haven't touched up a machine yet, but I have discovered that the Sharpie paint pens are a crappy shade of gold and the Testors enamel is pretty. I have mixed feelings about doing it.

It's too bad shipping to Alaska is so much. As much as you love 128s, you'd like my little blackside. Oh, well. It has to go local. I can't wrestle it around to package it for shipping. Much too heavy for me.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:02 PM

She is seeeew pretty!
Old 04-27-2012, 03:28 PM

Beautiful old machine! I DO have one question, tho....how do you get the back slide plate off? Is there a secret? I have a 127 with the back plate literally frozen in place...
Old 04-27-2012, 04:37 PM

Irishrose, I have gouges clear through to bare metal, i need to clean any oil out of them and then put in some filler paint, a good hard enamel most likely, then I can use the shellac smoothing to try and even the color, but I doubt I can move enough pigment to actually fill a scrape such as I have, Also it just make me sad that you don't love you little lady like I do ;-)
Momto5 soak the area in oil ( Kroil, hydraulic fluid, kerosene, triflow what have you) maybe try heating it gently with a hair drier, then remove the front plate and using a piece of wood (dowel rod or something) as a "punch" just tap lightly on it. no tricks no latch, exactly the same as the front plate. yours is just stuck (as was my freebie model 27 one) a single or a few SHARP raps and it should just slide off. you are tapping it to break it free.... you are NOT driving or beating it off, they are thin and can be damaged.

Goodluck.