Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
help with this NEW one....cost $11 plus shipping...what do I have here? >

help with this NEW one....cost $11 plus shipping...what do I have here?

help with this NEW one....cost $11 plus shipping...what do I have here?

Old 05-06-2015, 03:50 PM

what you have is a white family rotary ( full rotary hook ) that uses round bobbins and operates very much like any "regular" sewing machine. I do not know what model number it is ... but it is Almost ( with the exception of the clutch knob on the hand wheel) identical to two of mine. it is a straight stitch only machine with no "reverse" or "back tack" function and they are reported to be very durable reliable and nicely made machines. they rotate opposite of singers so be aware of that, as to the nature of how you would power it.... it has a pulley on the hand wheel and would be a Great treadle machine and as mentioned before it has the holes on the back side for mounting an electric motor, mine drives with a solid wheel contacting the hand wheel, though you probably have the option of mounting a belt drive motor as well. my electric version with slightly different decals is a 1923.... this one matches my treadle machine and appears older to me ... but that is just a hunch I would place it "pre 1940" with some confidence but other than that others will have to guide you.

Last edited by greywuuf; 05-06-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:08 PM

Unless I missed something, your machine is an electric without a motor or a controller. You mentioned a need for a belt, but without a motor and controller or treadle cabinet there is no way to use the machine. White handcranks are rarely, if ever attainable and reproductions do not fit.

Don't feel bad, I have a few also, but have plans. I have plenty of others to keep me busy.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:05 AM

Manual http://ismacs.net/white/manuals/white-rotary.pdf
Old 05-07-2015, 06:23 AM

Some help http://waterbuckpump.com/2014/01/15/how-to-treadle/
Old 05-07-2015, 06:47 AM

What number is on the rectangle metal plate on base below stitch length knob (serial number)?
Old 05-07-2015, 07:00 AM

Call this number and give serial number and they will give date. This number is viking but bought out parts of White when when out of business in 2009. They told me mine was 1912 and looks just like yours. (1 800 446 2333)
Old 05-08-2015, 08:03 AM

thank you all SO much for the information...I knew some of you would know about it......you are all amazing and I am so glad I found this web site a few years ago..........I have learned so much from all of you !!
Old 05-17-2015, 04:42 PM

I am thinking of either making it a treadle if I can find a cabinet...or finding a motor and remaking it as an electric....if I do go the motor way, is there anything special I need to know? since it goes backwards to the Singers, do I need a motor that goes backwards ??? so much I don't know about these wonderful old IRON LADIES that I am so found of

Originally Posted by Farmhousesewer View Post
Unless I missed something, your machine is an electric without a motor or a controller. You mentioned a need for a belt, but without a motor and controller or treadle cabinet there is no way to use the machine. White handcranks are rarely, if ever attainable and reproductions do not fit.

Don't feel bad, I have a few also, but have plans. I have plenty of others to keep me busy.