Hi everyone, I'm new here!

Old 04-03-2017, 07:35 AM

I am surprised by the seller not disclosing more info about the poor electricals. I've bought machines with plugs cut off to say "Don't plug it in until you have done serious repair." But since he knew you wanted to make it into a Hand crank I 'll cut him a bit of slack. I enjoy my 128 HC and many children have used it, too.

And as far as that, "the last I really wanted." just wait. You have heard the siren call before. It will happen again. Enjoy it.

Welcome to the fun from Kansas.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:09 AM

I know I've paid "too much" for some machines, but I've also got some great deals, so it all evens out. I don't let that interfere with enjoying the machines. The money is a sunk cost at this point, so live and learn and love your 128!
Old 04-03-2017, 08:55 AM

Welcome from Tennessee.

It all depends on which country and what part of the country you live in. I am sure I would do alot better back in New York or New Jersey.

A second had store generally sells things as is. When I buy certain machines, I know I will convert to hand cranks, I don't worry about electrical condition. I even buy when no controller is available.

I have paid hundreds too much. In a few instances it was a heart thing. I could tell the individual needed the money and I could afford it. In other cases I spoke too soon or did not know otherwise. I.E. my featherweight at the height of the market!

Don't kick yourself. Clean it up, convert it and enjoy it. I love my shuttle machines!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:17 AM

Hey Kit Kat. I am not good at negotiating either. I don't want to insult the seller but I'm learning. I usually start by, "I don't want to insult you but I can offer x amount of money" My husband usually says, "I don't know, this belongs to you what do you think it's worth?" Then the haggling begins. And then there is the "you'll think about it" and come back the next day after researching a little. Happy you found this wonderful group. Totally nice group of people and straight forward with opinions, which I like.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:18 AM

Welcome from the Northern part of Ontario so we are almost neighbours !! LOL Keep up the good work. Hope to hear from you on QB often.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:41 AM

Welcome from SC Texas.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:20 PM

Welcome, have some great memories from Fredericton, my brother was stationed there in RCMP and I visited many times. Many pretty places there.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:04 PM

Glad your husband could fix the wiring and you could get it clean and running. I'm sure you'll enjoy it and have learned something more about negotiating. We've all overpaid on something and also gotten a fabulous deal on things. I learned from my first vintage sewing machine purchase that putting in new wiring cost me twice as much as the machine and cabinet combined.But it's a terrific machine now.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:04 PM

It was a bit expensive for a machine that needed a lot of work, but not very much. Almost any conditon machine fetches about half of what you payed, at least within reason, a bentwood case in itself easily fetches around this sum. Motors often look bad, but when cleaned, greased and rewired they get a new lease of life, a completely burned out motor is a different case. I'm sure your husband are onto it. Was it a Singer motor? It can be worth the time and money to save it, especially the light.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:18 AM

Good Morning Everyone:
I'd like to Thank everyone from around the globe for all the welcomes and very good advice. Also for being so understanding and sharing the fact that you too have had times you had overpaid for a machine you wanted. I do love my machine. It runs so well, and I love using it. I love all my machines. Your probably right about thinking I won't buy anymore but another will come along. I kinda hope not thought. I don't really have room for anymore. I have a small bedroom I use for a sewing room and it's full, with all my sewing, quilting materials, notions and stuff, plus the machines. I even have a couple in the living room in cabinets. My 1949 singer 15-88 Treadle and my 1959 Singer 404 in a cabinet with the knee control. I think that cabinet is a Singer,the Monticello type, if I have the name spelled correctly. Anyway, I do look forward to conversing with you all. I'm not always on the site, so I may have to play catch up at times. I'm grateful this site is available and all of you are out there. So thankful to be a member. Hope I can be of help someday to some of you someday. Take care all, and have a wonderful day!

Kit Kat ( My name is Kathy, I live in New Brunswick, Canada and will be 60 years old on July 1st, this year. )