Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hello (EVERYONE NEW QUILTER Here with a ?)  Thanks. >

Hello (EVERYONE NEW QUILTER Here with a ?) Thanks.

Hello (EVERYONE NEW QUILTER Here with a ?) Thanks.

Old 04-11-2011, 09:33 AM

OK everyone, I am trying so hard to teach MYSELF how to quilt!! its been very challanging I must say to say it lightly. I want to know what yall think is the BEST pattern to start with??? I just need all the Help I can receive, there are no classes here that I can talk and it just seems I cant get everything just right.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Here are a series of class that one of our board members made for us :D
Once you practice making some of these blocks/skills, you may find yourself with more confidence :D:D:D

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-66776-1.htm
Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 AM

Log cabin quilts are a great starter project. Welcome from Michigan!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:40 AM

Welcome from WA and I'm sure you'll be addicted in no time. Those tutorials are great to go through. Nine Patch is a very easy one to get started on too.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:44 AM
saf

Originally Posted by TenaH
OK everyone, I am trying so hard to teach MYSELF how to quilt!! its been very challanging I must say to say it lightly. I want to know what yall think is the BEST pattern to start with??? I just need all the Help I can receive, there are no classes here that I can talk and it just seems I cant get everything just right.
Hello TenaH Like you I live in an area where there are no classes and I didn't know anyone else who did patchwork. I borrowed several books from my library and started with some placemats using the log cabin block. Just straight strips but putting them together helped me with cutting and sewing a 1/4" seam. I found that was the most difficult to get consistent at first. But the log cabin gives plenty of practice without any tricky half and quarter triangles cut on the bias. And the placemats were a small enough size so that I wasn't too overwhelmed. Mind you my stitch ripper rapidly became my new best friend. I then moved on to a lap quilt using rail fence design. Again, straight strips but a much bigger project. By the time I finished the top I had just about got the hang of accurate seams! :lol: :lol: :lol: This worked for me but I'm sure that some others will have lots of useful advice that will benefit both of us.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:01 AM

Welcome from southern Indiana. I'm a new quilter too and I can't say enough good things about the information available on this board. Thank you, Amma, for the link to the beginning tutorials! TenaH, I feel as though I have a wealth of resources available at my fingertips here, I'm sure you will find the support you're looking for. Have fun!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:07 AM

Just stay on the board, everyone will help you each step of the way, and if you need individual help, please pm me and I will be happy to help you also. Happy Quilting..
Old 04-11-2011, 10:41 AM

There's a lot of 9 patch patterns out there also. You could make several projects with one block style and work up some confidence.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:02 AM

I don't know about the best, but I started with a rail fence. It was fun and not difficult and gave me a sense of what could be. Welcome to the board from Iowa.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:28 AM

The easiest set of blocks to do are 4-patch and 9-patch. There are no half-square triangles or quarter-triangles yet. :-P
You can do those in your next quilt :thumbup: