Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
How to fit 70+ machines in the house >

How to fit 70+ machines in the house

How to fit 70+ machines in the house

Old 05-14-2014, 03:51 AM

Default How to fit 70+ machines in the house

I'm still sorting and putting stuff away, so it's rather messy but getting there!

My husband really did not want to build a building for my sewing, so in the end we decided to build a new chicken coop - expand the summer kitchen into the old coop, move all my canning stuff out there, move DH's reloading stuff into the large walk in closet (where it use to be) and move my treadle machines to the small upstairs bedroom that DH was using, and then use my dressing room as my office. A lot of moving stuff around. Probalby a better use of resources, but it would have been fun to have the building . . . I'd be broke too, but you can't have everything

Here is the upstairs - just moving a lot around. We put in track lighting so now we can see to work on that side of the room.

Moved the dining room table by the stairs - I put the extensions in and now have lots of storage underneath too.

This is my main sewing area - when cleaned off, there is an ironing station next to my main machine (and a Singer 500 in the cabinet). There is a 99k in the cabinet my serge is on, and then a Pfaff 130 in the next cabinet, and my Pfaff embroidery machine on top. I put the cute GE Sewhandy on display above.

This is my work area - cutting station to the right - with a day bed underneath. There is room to pull the bed out for use, but so far we've only needed it once when our Son was visiting this spring. Ironing board in the middle (the mangle will go underneath when put back together) and the new treadle cabinet is going in place of the one on the end of the ironing board. Not sure where that cabinet will go yet- it's got a newer Free/New Home inside.

To the left is DH's sewing area - storage for his fabric and notions on the end - with his 403 in this cabinet, and his Bernina 830 Record on the cabinet behind. He can move it when he wants to use that one. The Singer 101 is tucked in the back cabinet - somewhat inaccessable, but DH says that is fine - he says if he never sees the 101 again that will be OK with him (not going to tell him I want to put it on display downstairs).

In the middle are three more "sewing stations" the right is a cabinet with DH's 201 and then a cabinet along the wall with a 15 inside, and DH's Viking 21A on top. The cabinet splits in the middle so I can actually open it up even with the sloped ceiling. To the left is the trapizoid cabinet, and eventually the 319 will go inside. The Kenmore is sitting on top as DH wants to use that machine too.

So, that accounts for 16 machines.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:05 AM

Then we have the treadle room - though there are a few non-treadles in there too. I'm working on making changes to the shelves - so the machines on the floor won't be staying there.

The cabinets include (from left along the wall) Domestic, Singer 128, Demorest, a little 99 cabinet tucked into the corner with a National "locomotive" on top, and the Standard rotary. I can remove all the lids easily - so it worked to put them along the wall like this. In the center are two Singer parlor cabinets, the front one has an older 15-30 in it, and the W&G on top, the back one is converted so I'll be able to swap machines in and out of it. I'll probalby leave a machine in it after I get my attachments put away. It can not be closed up with a machine inside though.

And the rest of the (mostly) treadle machines.

After setting up the shelves I found I had just enough room to put a row of smaller shelves in the middle, so I'm working on that now. They will display attachment sets that go with the machines on the shelves. The white cabinet on the end is also for attachment storage - right now a lot is in the boxes in this room.

And I have fabric scrap storage in the closet. This is mostly from what I bought at an estate sale last summer. Easy way to get a jump on a good stash - buy someone else's!

So this room has 8 machines in/on the cabinets and another 20 on the shelves. There are two on the floor tucked under the treadle drawers, and then the three toys on top of the white cabinet - so that makes 33 machines in this room.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:17 AM

Wow! Very nice!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:18 AM

Wow, just think that with the money you saved from not building the building, you can buy more machines.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:21 AM

And then downstairs. Though I don't have pictures, there are four cabinets and 6 machines in the library, two treadles in the bedroom and another two machines in my office - so that makes for another 10.

So, to recap, we've got 16 in the sewing room, 33 in the treadle room, 6 in the Library, 2 in the bedroom and 2 in the office, for a total of 59 - so where are the rest?

In the Dining room converted to my quilting room.

The far wall has a cabinet with a 66 inside, and one of my favorite cabinets with a 15-91 set up. And then there is the Bailey on the frame.

On the other side I have a cabinet that I'm fixing - and the 401 will go inside eventually, and in front I have the new 301 cabinet.

And then the other wall- I took the two shelves we had made when I had the treadles in my dressing room and moved them out here - and they just fit! This is were I'll display Singers. Got room for 10 machines on the shelf.

And the rest . . . most of the cases are empty now, but there are two with machines that are part of the "collection" and DH's Viking 6570. The rest of what is under here will hopefully find new homes - so I don't count them. The Golden on the bottom is DH's mom's machine, and after he gets it working, it's going back to her.

So that adds up to 9 machines on the shelves, four in cabinets, one on the frame and another three under the frame that will stay - 17 machines (there are another 7 under there that don't belong in the collection).

So we'll add the 17 to the 59 and we've got 76 machines, not counting those that need new homes. So I actually have 84 machines in the house right now.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:58 AM

I am chuckling the whole time I'm reading this. My kids were home this weekend and they think I've gone off my rocker with 14 machines! I kept telling them macybaby has 33. Did I ever get that wrong, wait til I tell them she has 84!!! All I can say is it keeps us out of trouble (mostly) and off the streets. Still thinking you need to build a museum! Loving it all! Keep on buying them!!!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:25 AM

OMG! I am so happy to see how yo have them all arranged and lovingly for sure! It's comforting to know the number lol! I am afraid to count my horde. I know it's more than 50 less than 100. I can't be held fully responsible because they are not all keepers and many came in a bulk buy so I don't count that as me collecting.

I often wonder how other people are storing, using, and displaying their machines. You're so lucky to have your husband involved with your hobby. Nice job!
Old 05-14-2014, 07:32 AM
Banned

Well done! The Shelving is inspiring.... I am on that this weekend.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
.....I am afraid to count my horde. I know it's more than 50 less than 100. I can't be held fully responsible because they are not all keepers and many came in a bulk buy so I don't count that as me collecting.!...
Yeah yeah, you just keep telling yourself that. ;-)

Macybaby, the shelves do look very nice! I am in awe of you, how you tend to such a herd.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:53 PM

I'm just imagining standing in front of your shelving thinking "hmm... which one... Ah, B5 would be just perfect"