Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Mother and grandmother died - old machines in our house >

Mother and grandmother died - old machines in our house

Mother and grandmother died - old machines in our house

Old 12-25-2016, 02:35 PM

Default Mother and grandmother died - old machines in our house

Here is an album of some snapshots of these machines
https://m.imgur.com/a/ABaE2

i don't remember my mother using these much, when she sewed I think she had a more modern looking machine somewhere.

some of these must have been my grandmothers she died years ago, my mother died a few years ago, these have been sitting around my fathers house. He is insisting we sell them, I'm guessing these aren't worth much. It's sad to let's these things go but the reality is we have no use for them or no storage space.

Any advice appreciated
Old 12-25-2016, 03:03 PM
Banned

Sure wish I lived close to you, I'd take some of that off your hands.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:17 PM

You might want to let everyone know where you are in case they are interested. There are lots of vintage machine enthusiasts here.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:30 PM

What it looks like you have is a 60's Kenmore and a singer 66, which appears to be refurbed from a treadle to an electric. I'm no expert, but they are not likely to bring much, if any money. Neither is old enough to be rare. Neither is a collectable model (a very few models are collectable). You might try selling them on Craigslist or donating and taking the deduction.
bkay
Old 12-25-2016, 08:47 PM
Banned

bkay is correct that the machines won't make you rich but there may be someone in your area that would want them. The Kenmore won't get you much even though they're good sturdy machines. The Singer isn't a refurbished treadle, it's a crinkle finish 1950s model, not a valuable collectors item but a good machine. The coffin top over the Kenmore belongs to that treadle cabinet, which was probably removed from the treadle base to make it into the table. I think, and I'm sure everyone here will agree, that you should return the cabinet to the base it belongs to, and offer it on CL. There's always someone in need of a base for a treadle machine. Please don't let it go to someone who wants to "upcycle" it.

Cari
Old 12-26-2016, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

that very last table is where you have something unusual.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:24 AM

So, Miriam, can you tell from the photos if the 66 was the treadle for that cabinet? Or, is the machine that matches that treadle cabinet not included in the photos?

So, the crinkle finish machines didn't have any decals? (I have a crinkle finish 66 refurb and the decals are covered up.)

bkay
Old 12-26-2016, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
that very last table is where you have something unusual.
Yes, it looks unusual - that's because it is standing on its side. The drawers are on the top and bottom, and when you see the side facing you, (second last picture) that is the top with with cutout for the machine. Not too unusual. Just has no irons. The treadle base is gone.

Just tilt your head to the right and you will see it.

Last edited by maviskw; 12-26-2016 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:54 AM

It's too bad the machine that would have been in the treadle with the coffin top is gone. And like Miriam says, that is the only one of the three that's not so common. With the exception that is looks like someone made the opening larger and put a shelf for a much newer machine to sit on. So one probably could not put the original machine back in.

The 66 is probably not a conversion - it looks like it's a newer (40's) that came fitted for electric and in the cabinet it's now in.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:59 AM

The last table I am not sure what machine goes with it. I think the coffin top may go to that last table?

anyhow thanks for posting here to see what we've got.

i am in north New Jersey for those of you who asked.

I will I'll probably post these on Craigslist but I'd rather them go to someone who appreciates the machines.