Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I don't think this is very vintage...

I don't think this is very vintage...

But here is where the sewing machine gurus are, so here is where I'll post.

This is my newest thrift store find-a New Home/Janome MyExcel 15S. It's pretty pristine; it has a pink bobbin in it, but if it's been used much I'll eat that bobbin. The motor purrs along quietly and it sews a nice stitch. Under the flip-top it's got a pocket for a needle pack, and slots for feet (but no feet), plus the spool pin, etc. It looks kind of like the Janomes I see in class once in awhile, although this one is mechanical and not computerized.

Does anybody know *anything* about this machine? I spent all of last night googling and found nothing but a few manuals (I'm about to go dl one-it took me three tries to thread it correctly) and generic spare parts. It's mentioned in passing in a few places, but nothing about the machine itself. (An aside: I didn't know New Home was still producing sewing machines!)

My only real question is how old is it? I'm guessing 15~ years, but that's a WAG on my part. I'd be grateful for any other information out there-I've never met a machine as new as this one, with as little findable info!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    -Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!

Nice find!!!

I would've snapped it up too! Looks like a nice little machine. As this is a new(er) machine I would also post this on the main forum, there are bound to be some sewers that have one of these but they may not ever visit our cobwebby and rusty old group here. LOL

Blog Entries
    with a name like excel 15-20 years is a pretty good WAG

it has been given a new number - MS3015. that makes me think it's still available. for new parts, go to

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/jan...ine-parts.aspx
    if you can't fly as high as you want, fly as high as you can. -me.

Blog Entries
    Karen: You have a Janome machine; lucky you! If you look down toward the front of the machine, you will see something that looks like a slit. Place your hand on the top and bottom and pull gently toward your left; this should slide out real easy. Inside, you may find the accessories you have been looking for as this is where they are kept. How much did you pay for your machine? You will love how this machine sews and the ease of taking it to class and retreats with you. Tks. GiGi

Quote Originally Posted by butterflywing View Post
    it has been given a new number - MS3015. that makes me think it's still available. for new parts, go to

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/jan...ine-parts.aspx
    I don't know if it's still being made or not, but that model number is on the serial number plate of mine, so that's not a new thing.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGi View Post
    Karen: You have a Janome machine; lucky you! If you look down toward the front of the machine, you will see something that looks like a slit. Place your hand on the top and bottom and pull gently toward your left; this should slide out real easy. Inside, you may find the accessories you have been looking for as this is where they are kept. How much did you pay for your machine? You will love how this machine sews and the ease of taking it to class and retreats with you. Tks. GiGi
    I paid $25 for it-definitely a find!

When I got it, that accessory box was actually loose in the case, and the foot control was in the gap. I figured that out when I picked it up and the foot control fell on my foot. Once I got it back in place I figured out how to open it (the lid just flip open, but only when it's in place), but all that was in there was a bobbin and a stitch picker. I was hoping!
    -Karen

Blog Entries
    Does it work?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Does it work?
    Like a charm! The only thing I've found that hasn't worked right is the second side of the buttonhole stitch-it won't go backwards like it's supposed to. Since I prefer a buttonholer on my Pfaff, I'm not fussed.
    -Karen