I fixed my Pfaff 332!

Old 04-13-2015, 01:01 PM

War Horse is a good one!

It's funny, it's such a GOOD machine, but I wouldn't have given it a second look if I hadn't become so acquainted with one as a youngster. It doesn't LOOK awesome like the dashboard machines or the old classic black-and-gold look, but man is it impressive under the hood.

I'm glad mine seems to be OK as far as the capacitors go. At least for now! If/when they blow out, I know who to message for help! LOL
Old 04-13-2015, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I'm glad mine seems to be OK as far as the capacitors go. At least for now! If/when they blow out, I know who to message for help! LOL
By the time I am done working on this one I should know a LOT about it lol! I have a tendancy to buy machines that are both desirable to me and mystery puzzles. It often takes a lot of work to get them going but I learn so much about them! If your capacitors even fail I should be able to help.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:02 AM

I've been thinking of trying to find some sort of local classes to help me learn more about motors and capacitors and how to fix these things without killing myself or catching my house on fire (or worse, ruining an awesome sewing machine). Problem is I hate going to school. LOL I should just shanghai my cousin and force him to give me a primer. I just need a kick in the pants to get me started, once I have some idea of what I'm doing I can run with it.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:21 AM

Sewnoma,

My son (who worked on SMs for 14 years) and who is also deeply involved in electronics, could give you some pointers, if you need help! He completely re-wired my 201 (which was still working) but he didn't like the looks of the wiring! LOL!

Jeanette
Old 04-14-2015, 12:41 PM

I think I need more than pointers, I need a "wiring 101 for dummies" type of education - I need to start from zero, basically. It's a little embarrassing. Does he make house calls to California? LOL

I know exactly two things about electricity: DON'T TOUCH and CALL A PROFESSIONAL. LOL

I have a motor I took off of a 99 that needs rewiring, and I have a feeling it's probably REALLY simple but other than looking at stuff I'm afraid to change anything. I'm not actually sure the current wiring is correct so I don't want to just copy what was there, but I don't know enough to figure it out. I really need to open it up, take pictures, and post it here. I'm sure people here can guide me. I just haven't gotten back around to that particular mess yet!
Old 04-15-2015, 07:19 AM

I was the same about electricity a year and a half ago! I knew NOTHING other than it's very dangerous.

I started by reading and re-reading this blog http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2012/01/co...ted-motor.html which is absolutely awesum! It isn't the same exact motor as the Singer 99 but all the skills he teaches you are skills that apply to pretty much any motor.

I learned everything from the internet starting with this blog and then researching any other things that came up. Opening up the motor is just part of what I do with every machine I get.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:19 PM

Cool, thanks for the link! I will check it out when I get home.

I think you are now where I want to get to! I know I CAN learn this stuff, I just need to get over the hump and get started on it.