I fixed my Pfaff 332!

Old 03-21-2015, 02:20 PM

Default I fixed my Pfaff 332!

I should have looked at it much sooner.

This area was the problem. The lower cog/arm thing for the belt tension was out of alignment, letting that cogged belt slip completely off. It (the tension wheel arm) was being stabilized by that lump of hot glue you see there, LOL. (This is the "after-fixing" picture, I forgot to take any "before"s)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]514387[/ATTACH]

It looks like some rubber pad behind the bracket has disintegrated. I found a manual online and it mentions a washer, but it was 4AM and I couldn't find one, but I did find a scrap of rubber foam pad and cut a couple rectangles out and put that behind the bracket, and now the belt lines up perfectly and stays put! I'm not sure that's really how it was originally, but it works.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]514388[/ATTACH]

I will have to find a washer but I couldn't tell from the scanned image of the manual where exactly it goes. I'm guessing between the screw head and the bracket arm?

This machine is such a tank. I took the top off and holy cow. This is the 332-260 so it has a built-in camstack. The belts on this thing are insane. I can personally verify that this machine is capable of sewing right into an 8 year old's finger, right through the nail, without hesitating. LOL
[ATTACH=CONFIG]514389[/ATTACH]

I plugged her in and she sews great! Amazingly quiet too. I'm so stoked!

Next up is a good cleaning and lubing, and some minor adjustments. And then a bigger house, so I can keep more machines set up at a time!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]514395[/ATTACH]

I love how the bed folds down.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]514394[/ATTACH]

Getting at the dials with the lid on - this was a part I was NOT ALLOWED to touch as a girl:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]514400[/ATTACH]

Yaay! I just made my weekend, LOL.
Attached Thumbnails pfaff_332_repair_10.jpg   pfaff_332_repair_05.jpg   pfaff_332_repair_02.jpg   pfaff_332_repair_12.jpg   pfaff_332_repair_11.jpg  

pfaff_332_repair_07.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 02:35 PM

Good work! Such a sense of accomplishment!
Old 03-21-2015, 06:07 PM

Great job fixing it! Great machine too.
Rodney
Old 03-21-2015, 06:37 PM

yay!! congrats, she's a beauty!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:26 PM

She is a beautiful machine! I am a little jealous that YOURS is nicer but I am feeling lucky to have found one for myself! I haven't started the clean up process. I know right up right the light switch on mine is broken but everything else is at least moving. If I run into problems I might be asking you! Congrats on getting a great machine and getting it up and running!
Old 03-22-2015, 06:24 PM

It's funny because it looks SO dirty to me, compared to my grandmother's. She would have never let HER machine get this grubby!

The automatic needle threader on mine doesn't work, I've discovered. It doesn't come forward far enough. I haven't figured out why yet. I do remember that the one on my Grandmother's machine didn't work either. It's overall a little gunky, someone was sloppy with the oil. Better than not oiling it at all, I suppose!

I don't really know a whole lot about it but I'm happy to help if I can! I am having fun taking a trip down memory lane for sure, though.

I was going through the attachments and I realized it has a horizontal spool pin converter! It's not the one it would have come with, judging from pictures in the manual and also the color of the metal, but it works! I'm pleased because that's an attachment I can use (and have real use for) on multiple machines. It also has some interesting open-toe darning/FMQ type feet I'll have to play with. All stamped Pfaff, so presumably originals.

Fun, fun, fun.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:53 AM

I was playing with it more late last night and realized the top lever/knob marked 1,3,5,7,0 is stuck and I can't move it. I probably stuck the lid on wrong somehow so I'll have to play with that after work today. I'm pretty sure it moved before I took it all apart but not positive now, lol.

It's funky, that whole front knob assembly actually moves around on the face of the machine as it sews a pattern. I only did straight or zz as a kid so I'd never seen it do that - it spooked me for a second! So far the only patterns I get are wobbly zig-zags but you have to adjust 3-4 dials to get a proper stitch pattern and I'm just playing with the one cam dial; when I get my pattern wheel thingy I'll be able to test properly. And fix that top knob.

I was sewing on some denim scrap, getting the tension adjusted, and I put 8 layers though. It just sewed through it like it was nothing, nice lovely balanced stitches. It's almost a little scary, I started having some flashbacks to sewing my finger!

Every machine needs a name, I'm thinking this little toughie might need a name like Bonecrusher or Fingerbreaker. LOL (Better than "Broken Disappointment" that I was calling it before!)
Old 03-23-2015, 06:40 AM

I came so close to buying a 362 and I have a similar 230, so this is vicarious for me. Nice job on the fix!
Old 03-23-2015, 06:49 AM

I would probably have never looked at this machine if it didn't have such a sentimental connection for me. I think it's somewhere between "plain" and "plain ugly" - the slightly newer version of this machine is a lot prettier and I think same guts under the hood. But I'd have missed out, so I'm glad I was exposed to this machine when I was young. I definitely appreciate it a lot more now than I did then!

It gives me such memories and makes me wonder what happened to "my" box of fabric scraps at Gran's house when she died. I had some watermelon fabric in there I was saving for something special!! LOL (Watermelons and rainbows, tossed on a teal background if I remember correctly. Ahhh, the 80's....)
Old 03-23-2015, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I would probably have never looked at this machine if it didn't have such a sentimental connection for me. I think it's somewhere between "plain" and "plain ugly" - the slightly newer version of this machine is a lot prettier and I think same guts under the hood
First 201 I bought it was an ugly tan one. After using it the first time I saw it as beautiful. Once I use a fantastic machine like this, I never see it as ugly again.