Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I got an early present last night! >

I got an early present last night!

I got an early present last night!

Old 12-10-2014, 06:15 AM

Default I got an early present last night!

DH has been asking a lot of questions, and then started dropping a lot of hints, and I think last night he couldn't stand the suspense anymore and gave me an early gift...a Rocketeer! It's a 500A and I only had about 20 minutes to play with it last night but it sews beautifully! Cosmetically it's nearly perfect, just two very small boo-boos on the body paint. Doors and hinges are perfect.

I tried to pry out of him what he paid for it but he wouldn't say anything other than he got "a good deal". He won't tell me where he found it either, but I'm pretty sure it was a local find. I think he found a secret vintage sewing machine cache somewhere around here that he doesn't want me to know about, LOL! I can tell it's been recently oiled so *somebody* has taken care of it.

I only got the machine and the power cord/pedal combo - no manual, no feet other than the basic one that's on it, no cams. The hunt is on! I did find the manual online but I'll be keeping my eyes open for a paper one too.

I noticed when I threaded it that there seems to be a part missing; a little arm that rides along on the thread. I looked it up and it's some sort of thread tension piece, but the blog I found was talking about how it doesn't work and Singer released an alternate threading path to bypass it. I'm thinking maybe someone deliberately modified the machine to take that arm out so the normal threading path could be used without that little arm interfering. Interesting...and the stitches look great so it's apparently not at all necessary, just like the blog said.

It's so PRETTY! I'm so happy with it. And I have NO idea where I'm going to put it! LOL
Old 12-10-2014, 06:18 AM

Wow, lucky you!! Please post some pictures for us to drool over.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:32 AM

We NEED pictures! It sounds lovely! I'm very happy for you and hubby did real good. Merry early Christmas!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:36 AM

Congrats on your Rocketeer -and a husband that supports your hobby! They use the black Singer "top hat" cams that are also used in the Touch & Sew series so finding cams and accessories won't be terribly difficult or expensive.
Rodney
Old 12-10-2014, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Congrats on your Rocketeer -and a husband that supports your hobby!
I will definitely post some pictures, I was so excited I didn't even think to take any! I need to post pics of my cute little 99K too, I finally got time to clean her up so she went from frozen stiff to sewing perfectly. DH spotted the 99K for me as well, I totally missed it. He can reach stuff down from high shelves, open tough jars, squish scary spiders, and find cool old Singers. A keeper, for sure! LOL. (He has ALWAYS been really supportive of all of my hobbies, and I have done my best to do the same for him...we love to spoil each other silly whenever we get the chance!)
Old 12-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Check out the YouTube for videos on your machines. You may also find free downloadable manuals.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

Congrats on your 'new' machine! Neat that hubby is interested in the hunt too.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:49 AM

Wow! Lucky lady! You have a keeper of a husband and a wonderful Christmas present....You shouldn't have any problem with locating the feet and other accessories.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:14 AM

Happy stitching!
Old 12-10-2014, 08:18 AM

Cool! Please post some pics! A Rocketeer has yet to cross my path. (Came very close, once.)

Enjoy it.