Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I told myself I wouldn't adopt a White, Domestic, etc. But... >

I told myself I wouldn't adopt a White, Domestic, etc. But...

I told myself I wouldn't adopt a White, Domestic, etc. But...

Old 04-25-2014, 06:47 AM

Is a gear puller really necessary to get the handwheel off on these. Need to fit a belt smaller than OD of it.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Joe: I think Optically, and for sure with zoom, my real camera does a better job. My phone however has more mega pixels and really great fixed focal length image quality. No one seems to complain about the video I shoot with it and upload to YouTube for tutorials either.
Tammi, I didn't realize you were using a cell phone for your videos? I have watched a couple and would not have known....I remember spending close to $1,000 a couple of times on video cameras when the kids were growing up. I may have to do a better job of using the video on my phone with grandkids!
Old 04-25-2014, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cogito View Post
Tammi, I didn't realize you were using a cell phone for your videos? I have watched a couple and would not have known....I remember spending close to $1,000 a couple of times on video cameras when the kids were growing up. I may have to do a better job of using the video on my phone with grandkids!
Surprise! I did the same. I have an "old" Canon miniDV video camera here that I could shoot video with, and it may do a better job, but transferring the video to the computer, etc etc makes the phone way nicer to work with. The first video was my old phone which was a bit of a free spirit as far as focus, but the rest have been my current phone and seem to work out really well. If I was trying to shoot something far away it wouldn't work well, but close up work is great.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:57 PM

The White rotary is an awesome machine, it was electric when I got it. I bought a treadle cabinet for it, like it lots better as a treadle. Your machine is younger than my machine. My machine dates to 1917.
I love sewing with mine, have made quite a few quilts with it.
Sharon
Attached Thumbnails 1917-white-rotary-treadle-001.jpg  

Last edited by purplefiend; 04-27-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:10 PM

Jim,

I've removed a few hand wheels. I don't think I could have done it without the gear puller.

Cathy

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
Is a gear puller really necessary to get the handwheel off on these. Need to fit a belt smaller than OD of it.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:35 AM

Any links to doing that. A gear puller wants to put its point in the center. But the axle's head is larger than the ID of the wheel. Thanks
Old 04-28-2014, 01:32 PM

Jim,

Try this link: http://treadleon.net/sewingmachinesh...itewheels.html

Hope this helps,
Cathy

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
Any links to doing that. A gear puller wants to put its point in the center. But the axle's head is larger than the ID of the wheel. Thanks
Old 05-31-2014, 10:50 AM

Default Never say never

So since that White showed up, I've acquired 2 more. both from Shopgoodwill's local Eugene branch.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477431[/ATTACH]The 43 was a little drab so I threw some color at it. It did come with an original motor, will need to add a foot control, as the cable was cut.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]477432[/ATTACH] This Family Rotary was also at the same GW, Both of em were $5 specials (plus $4 S&H)
I like that they use standard needles.
and are easy to find attachments for
The one above has a Hamilton & Beech type motor which I'll need to rewire.
Attached Thumbnails 2014-05-31-07.28.02.jpg   2014-05-31-11.17.46.jpg  
Old 05-31-2014, 03:31 PM

I take all my pics and videos with my Canon Power Shot A520. It works better than I can and nobody has complained about my pics or videos either.

My cell phone is just a phone. It does phone calls and texts. That's all I want it for. I won't own one that is nothing more than a miniature tablet computer either.

Joe
Old 05-31-2014, 04:45 PM

My last camera is 6 years old and takes crap pictures. My phone is much better and it's not even the current model.
If I have a picture come up sideways it's usually something the board did and not my phone. I upload to photobucket and post from there and I think once it came up sideways which is wasn't on my phone or photobucket.

My grandma uses a White 43. It's the only machine she's ever owned.