Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Always said I wouldn't, but I did!   (Again) >

Always said I wouldn't, but I did! (Again)

Always said I wouldn't, but I did! (Again)

Old 09-24-2017, 07:27 AM

Unhappy Always said I wouldn't, but I did! (Again)

I posted a while back about being in Home Econ. in 1961 where we made our own patterns and did not use already made patterns. This was so we were creating and not copying. Well, as I told you, it took several decades before I actually used a pre-made pattern, and felt guilty for weeks! But I got over the guilt and now use them not just for garments, but even for quilts........only once!

Now comes the latest. Friends and I made a trip to Hamilton, Missouri Star Quilting for their 9th Birthday Bash. So many people meant long lines, but so many great bargains, fun activities, trolley rides, good food, good hotels, good ideas, etc.

Anyway, here's what I actually did and have been agonizing ever since. I bought......can hardly type.....Colorado friends said they would bar the door so I couldn't get out of the store without buying it.......Illinois friends threatened to call my husband (he always gets angry when I don't spend money on myself).....and New York friends said it was "ME", even strangers joined in.....so I did buy a.........hard to type again..........quilt kit. Now my friends back home saw it and won't let me return it. I really like the design, colors, everything. Just thought I could have gotten all the fabrics cheaper if not in a kit.
Husband is just sighing and shaking his head saying I will never learn.

The only way I can justify this is to not use all the suggested fabrics, change to some others so I am still creating and not copying.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:38 AM

Just chalk it up to the influence of all those MSQC shoppers! I buy kits and patterns all the time but nearly always end up making it my own in one way or another.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:40 AM

Stop it. If it is just perfect the way it is, make it and be happy with it exactly like designed. Don't "throw in" some other fabric just to prove a point.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

For the sake of whatever!

You are Paying the designer, you are Paying the people that assembled the quilts for their expertise and time!

Do you feel guilty if you hire a plumber or electrician?

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-24-2017 at 09:33 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 09-24-2017, 08:10 AM

I like the way you think Bearisgray!!!
Old 09-24-2017, 08:12 AM

Ha! I think I understand but am coming at the same dilemma from the opposite direction. After years of sewing and quilting I now want to make my own designs. However, I think there are times for everything and if a pattern, kit, or quilt calls to you then go for it! You are honoring a different designer and it is just the next project up to the plate not your complete future.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
For the sake of whatever!

You are PAYING the designer, you are PAYING the people that assembled the quilts for their expertise and time!

Do you feel guilty if you hire a plumber or electrician?
Yes, of course, I try to always solve the problem myself and call for help only if needed. Like I was taught way back: You wouldn't copy someone else's Math problem answers, or someone else's English essay, so don't copy someone else's pattern. Still thinking create or copy. So will do it my way, not to prove a point, just to make it better with other colors or whatever I like, while still using the designer's pattern. That will make me happy for sure. Guess I should delete this post as it is not making some of you happy. Sorry
Old 09-24-2017, 09:35 AM

Buying a kit is a 'launch point'. You can fly as high as you want by changing it to suit your own design concept. Or, you can fly under the radar and 'just make it the way it was intended'. I have been known to buy kits on sale-just to add to my stash. You can do whatever you want-just enjoy doing it.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
Yes, of course, I try to always solve the problem myself and call for help only if needed. Like I was taught way back: You wouldn't copy someone else's Math problem answers, or someone else's English essay, so don't copy someone else's pattern. Still thinking create or copy. So will do it my way, not to prove a point, just to make it better with other colors or whatever I like, while still using the designer's pattern. That will make me happy for sure. Guess I should delete this post as it is not making some of you happy. Sorry
????

I sometimes feel guilty going out to eat when I know I could have prepared a very similar meal for much less. (Steak, baked potato, and salad, for example)

Is this comparable to what you are saying?

On the other hand, there are some meals that it is "more practical" to go out for because I don't have most of the ingredients on hand.

Maybe it is that way with a kit?

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-24-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:16 AM

All this discussion is reminding of someone's tag line on the board which is "I never met a pattern that I couldn't tweak". Just takes a tiny tweak to make if your own and stop the quilt trip.