Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Always said I wouldn't, but I did!   (Again) >

Always said I wouldn't, but I did! (Again)

Always said I wouldn't, but I did! (Again)

Old 09-24-2017, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

One of our guild members is Nancy Elliot McDonald. She wrote a book about Winding Ways. For a long time she would come to sew and show with a wagon full of quilts. "Oh this is winding ways #82 and 83 and here is how they are different" - then she did an amazing array of other quilts. She's running around the 500 count at this point.

Tuesday was guild meeting and Nancy reported that she found this new concept "PANELS" and she loves them. So if Nancy can be successful with the relative simplicity of a panel, then you shouldn't beat yourself up for getting a kit. Just think of how much work has already been done for you.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:20 AM
Power Poster

This is such a funny post
I just bought my first kit ever- it was half price and I loved it so I ordered it.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
I posted a while back about being in Home Econ. in 1961 where we made our own patterns and did not use already made patterns. This was so we were creating and not copying. Well, as I told you, it took several decades before I actually used a pre-made pattern, and felt guilty for weeks! But I got over the guilt and now use them not just for garments, but even for quilts........only once!

Now comes the latest. Friends and I made a trip to Hamilton, Missouri Star Quilting for their 9th Birthday Bash. So many people meant long lines, but so many great bargains, fun activities, trolley rides, good food, good hotels, good ideas, etc.

Anyway, here's what I actually did and have been agonizing ever since. I bought......can hardly type.....Colorado friends said they would bar the door so I couldn't get out of the store without buying it.......Illinois friends threatened to call my husband (he always gets angry when I don't spend money on myself).....and New York friends said it was "ME", even strangers joined in.....so I did buy a.........hard to type again..........quilt kit. Now my friends back home saw it and won't let me return it. I really like the design, colors, everything. Just thought I could have gotten all the fabrics cheaper if not in a kit.
Husband is just sighing and shaking his head saying I will never learn.

The only way I can justify this is to not use all the suggested fabrics, change to some others so I am still creating and not copying.
I totally understand where you are coming from with this. I am the same. I got a kit for my b'day and the first thing I thought of was 'how can I make this different?'. But for the love of the person who gave It to me, I think I'll make it just the way It is- if I can! I always change at least one detail. I would suggest make it as is, in memory and as a souvenir of your trip and how everyone made you buy it It will be a funny story to tell the grands and visitors in a few years!
Old 09-24-2017, 11:55 AM

Why do you have to justify it at all? Use it and enjoy it. Make your own quilting design and you've still got the creative aspect of making this quilt.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:25 PM

I know what you mean in making it your own since you enjoy designing. May I suggest that you make it exactly as designed to be a reminder of the wonderful trip you had to MSQC with friends and even put their names on the label along with the story. And then put those designing skills in play with a small wallhanging, table runner or a mug rug as a "gifted pattern" to those who encouraged you in this new zone. Maybe a friend themed design...
Old 09-24-2017, 01:13 PM

No need to make this a drama....you bought it - either do it the way the instructions are written, or go off on your own....post a pic when you've finished......
Old 09-24-2017, 01:43 PM

It's the way you phrase you words, it sounds as if the need to "create" or "not follow a pattern" or "not copy" is, itself, a burden. It seems as if you are compelled not to do any of these things by your training, not your choice. It appears as if you are uncomfortable with deviating from old learned behaviors. That's why everyone is trying to ease your discomfort with the quilt kit.

Do you ever do anything new or different? Do you make a cake you've never made before? Do you use a recipe? Or do you have to make up your own recipes, too? If you eat a delicious pie at a pot luck, are you copying if you ask for the recipe? Is it ok to make that pie if you find the recipe on the web? Do you make your own bread, or can you buy a loaf of ready-made? Can you buy a dress you didn't make or design? Can you get a manicure or do you have to do your own nails? See where I'm going with this? How many things do you allow (or pay) other people to do for you?

Life is not long enough to do everything for your self, by yourself. We all interact and exchange services with others. I trade my money at the grocery store for food someone else grows, picks, transports and stocks in the store. Others trade their money to me for cooking for them. They trade their skills (doctoring, lawyering, etc.) to get that money they use to trade with me for my skills. We all trade. That's what has made our lives easier and more prosperous.

Somewhere in your life a home ec teacher said you had to make your own patterns. She didn't mean forever. She meant you had to learn how to make a pattern.

Besides, you're grown up now. She's no longer your teacher and you're no longer her student. You can CHOOSE something different. It's your life, not hers.

I promise you can make that pattern right by the directions and not deviate and the world will be just fine the next day. I promise.

Besides, it's now yours. You honestly traded your money for it. It's just like a loaf of bread.

bkay
Old 09-24-2017, 02:16 PM

You mentioned that you could have bought the fabric cheaper than that in the kit - probably not. Most kits have what you need, so not using a stash but buying from a store each fabric will have a minimum cut - and I find most fat quarters cost more that a standard quarter of a yard. The best part of a kit is getting the pattern - you can make it again if you like it.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:19 PM

The power of those home ec teachers, phew. I had one who told me I'd never learn how to crochet. She was such an unhappy person, I do believe. But I learned to make a mean Welsh rarebit. Only made it once way back then for my family. I think I would have loved wood shop but back in those days girls couldn't take it.
Am looking forward to a photo of your project and a list of how you made it your own.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:30 PM
anonymous

There has to be a happy medium. It seems that you can't enjoy the kit, only because you did not design it. Life is too short to agonize over cotton fabric. Nobody really cares, they just want you to be happy. It seems that it was really bothering you, or why did you post? I hope you find your happy place with this quilt. Good luck.