Old 09-24-2017, 11:34 AM
NZquilter

Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
I posted a while back about being in Home Econ. in 1961 where we made our own patterns and did not use already made patterns. This was so we were creating and not copying. Well, as I told you, it took several decades before I actually used a pre-made pattern, and felt guilty for weeks! But I got over the guilt and now use them not just for garments, but even for quilts........only once!

Now comes the latest. Friends and I made a trip to Hamilton, Missouri Star Quilting for their 9th Birthday Bash. So many people meant long lines, but so many great bargains, fun activities, trolley rides, good food, good hotels, good ideas, etc.

Anyway, here's what I actually did and have been agonizing ever since. I bought......can hardly type.....Colorado friends said they would bar the door so I couldn't get out of the store without buying it.......Illinois friends threatened to call my husband (he always gets angry when I don't spend money on myself).....and New York friends said it was "ME", even strangers joined in.....so I did buy a.........hard to type again..........quilt kit. Now my friends back home saw it and won't let me return it. I really like the design, colors, everything. Just thought I could have gotten all the fabrics cheaper if not in a kit.
Husband is just sighing and shaking his head saying I will never learn.

The only way I can justify this is to not use all the suggested fabrics, change to some others so I am still creating and not copying.
I totally understand where you are coming from with this. I am the same. I got a kit for my b'day and the first thing I thought of was 'how can I make this different?'. But for the love of the person who gave It to me, I think I'll make it just the way It is- if I can! I always change at least one detail. I would suggest make it as is, in memory and as a souvenir of your trip and how everyone made you buy it It will be a funny story to tell the grands and visitors in a few years!