Old 09-24-2017, 01:43 PM
bkay

It's the way you phrase you words, it sounds as if the need to "create" or "not follow a pattern" or "not copy" is, itself, a burden. It seems as if you are compelled not to do any of these things by your training, not your choice. It appears as if you are uncomfortable with deviating from old learned behaviors. That's why everyone is trying to ease your discomfort with the quilt kit.

Do you ever do anything new or different? Do you make a cake you've never made before? Do you use a recipe? Or do you have to make up your own recipes, too? If you eat a delicious pie at a pot luck, are you copying if you ask for the recipe? Is it ok to make that pie if you find the recipe on the web? Do you make your own bread, or can you buy a loaf of ready-made? Can you buy a dress you didn't make or design? Can you get a manicure or do you have to do your own nails? See where I'm going with this? How many things do you allow (or pay) other people to do for you?

Life is not long enough to do everything for your self, by yourself. We all interact and exchange services with others. I trade my money at the grocery store for food someone else grows, picks, transports and stocks in the store. Others trade their money to me for cooking for them. They trade their skills (doctoring, lawyering, etc.) to get that money they use to trade with me for my skills. We all trade. That's what has made our lives easier and more prosperous.

Somewhere in your life a home ec teacher said you had to make your own patterns. She didn't mean forever. She meant you had to learn how to make a pattern.

Besides, you're grown up now. She's no longer your teacher and you're no longer her student. You can CHOOSE something different. It's your life, not hers.

I promise you can make that pattern right by the directions and not deviate and the world will be just fine the next day. I promise.

Besides, it's now yours. You honestly traded your money for it. It's just like a loaf of bread.

bkay