Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Said I wouldn't  "Trading Post" find >

Said I wouldn't "Trading Post" find

Said I wouldn't "Trading Post" find

Old 04-13-2012, 12:16 PM

Default Said I wouldn't "Trading Post" find

I lied....I lied.... Ilied...
Found this at local "Trading Post" Tag read $165. I got it for $50. I think that is a food price. I think the cabimetm is worth that much even with all the repairs I will have to make.
As you can see in the photos the cabinet is in really bad shape. But in my past, life I worked at a small business in Dallas that restored antiques. With that experience, I think I can get the old girl back in shape.
The serial #G3022862 indicates June 12 1913.
Attached Thumbnails redeye-2.jpg   redeye-6.jpg   redeye-5.jpg   redeye-4.jpg   redeye-3.jpg  

redeye-1.jpg  
Old 04-13-2012, 12:28 PM

Pic of the machine itself? I looks like a Red Eye from the small part I can see??? Nice find...good price.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:43 PM

Beautiful!! Make sure to post pics after restoration!
Old 04-15-2012, 04:45 AM

Default Repairing veneer question

Originally Posted by Ccorazone View Post
I lied....I lied.... Ilied...
Found this at local "Trading Post" Tag read $165. I got it for $50. I think that is a food price. I think the cabimetm is worth that much even with all the repairs I will have to make.
As you can see in the photos the cabinet is in really bad shape. But in my past, life I worked at a small business in Dallas that restored antiques. With that experience, I think I can get the old girl back in shape.
The serial #G3022862 indicates June 12 1913.
The cabinet will be beautiful when you have repaired it. Please post pics for us to enjoy. BTW, I have an old octagon lamp table that has much damage to the veneer top, can you tell me how one goes about repairing/restoring veneer as I see your cabinet has that issue as well. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2012, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by royllsister View Post
The cabinet will be beautiful when you have repaired it. Please post pics for us to enjoy. BTW, I have an old octagon lamp table that has much damage to the veneer top, can you tell me how one goes about repairing/restoring veneer as I see your cabinet has that issue as well. Thanks!
Remove old veneer careful not to damage underlying wood. With sort of rough sandpaper ( 80 or 100) remove as much of the old glue as possible making sure you don't change the shape in any way. Turn upside down, trace the outline of the shape on paper but make it a tiny bit larger. Use the same species of wood to replace what you took off. Veneer sheets can be purchased online.
Use the paper outline to cut new shape. Test an edge of the veneer to see if it can be cut with scissors without shattering the wood. If it does shatter then that method is out. Next method is an extra sharp exacto blade. Lay a straight edge(ruler)to guide your cut. Make a series of cuts. Do not attempt to cut all the way through in one cut it will shatter the edge of the wood. Glue in position on lamp place waxed paper or plastic wrap on that then place something heavy on top to weigh to down ( several heavy books) as the veneer as it dries. Make sure the veneer does not shift position.
Once the glue is completely dry wrap fine sandpaper around a block of wood. Sand until the edges are even, stain to match the rest of the lamp add clear topcoat put it back together and enjoy..I may have left a small step but I think you get the idea. Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by royllsister View Post
You might also view this tutorial,
http://www.woodworkerssource.com/mm5...pplication.pdf
Old 04-15-2012, 08:23 AM

thank you for the tips, very helpful