Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I Want to Bid on this...can you help? >

I Want to Bid on this...can you help?

I Want to Bid on this...can you help?

Old 10-29-2013, 08:42 PM

Question I Want to Bid on this...can you help?

If you live in the Salt Lake City area please don't go and outbid me on this pretty machine! LOL

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotImag...lacewithpaddle

Such pretty decals and it doesn't look too bad from the pictures but wondered if anyone has info that might help me decide if I should bid and what is a realistic price range? I am friendly with the auctioneers and might be able to get them too look for a serial number if I knew where it would be located on the machine.
I have a White cabinet but no machine and I would love to actually have a machine that will one day work with some TLC...any ideas for me?
Thanks for looking
Cathie in Ut
Old 10-29-2013, 09:23 PM

If im just outside of the wasatch front, i can bid eh? Lol eastern utah here!
Old 10-29-2013, 11:30 PM

I'm too far away on that one. Pretty machine. I hope you win it.
I usually don't tell people about anything I'm thinking of buying. I think it can lead to unwanted attention
and possibly more competition for it. But then I tend to be a pessimist anyway.
Rodney
Old 10-30-2013, 12:39 AM

For price reference, I bought a prestine machine like that off ebay for 189.00. It was a buy-it -now. It had an affoedable shipping option but I picked it up. On this current trip I have seen worn machines in that same cabinet for $75 to $800 buy who knows if they actuslly sold. I also prefer to not pring attention to items I'm interested in.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cathieinut View Post
I have a White cabinet but no machine and I would love to actually have a machine that will one day work with some TLC...any ideas for me?
Thanks for looking
Cathie in Ut
That appears to be a 27 or 28. I've yet to determine the difference. Yes, you can make it work. The plates seem intact meaning more than likely the shuttle and bobbin are also there. If they are missing, add $25 or so to eventual cost. As to fitting in your current cabinet, I would check dimensions. However, the cabinet looks restorable. Price? Whatever the traffic will bear. If you like it, buy it. Personally, I don't see many of these in this shape. It sews with a recognizable rhythmic sound you will like. It makes a very nice stitch. I use it's sister, a 128, as hand crank for canvas boat covers and the like. I just re-upholstered a motor cycle seat in Naugahyde with the HC 128. Good luck!

Last edited by Vridar; 10-30-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:21 AM

I'm in Australia but I don't think it's hugely different for these kind of machines... I just sold my 1896 Sphynx decal treadle in pretty much the same (good) condition as that one on eBay for $270. I think that is a lot! Of course, just like anywhere, there are plenty of people asking for a lot more for less interesting/beautiful machines. As someone who looks for things at a reasonable price and intends to actually use them, I was only prepared to pay $102 when I bought it (without it having been cleaned and polished, which I did myself - and which obviously contributed to a better selling price for me). So I think $100 - $250 is reasonable, depending on how badly you want it and how often you see machines with Gingerbread decals like that in such good condition!

Last edited by frudemoo; 10-30-2013 at 05:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-30-2013, 06:28 AM

Yeah, I recognize that if I put it up for a questions I might draw unwanted attention from others but I don't know how else to find out about the machine LOL?
Thanks Ron for some info and I know what you mean about the "What ever the traffic will allow" on price. If I am going to take the plunge I just wanted an idea of what is reasonable for pricing.
I don't plan on moving it to my White Cabinet but maybe one day I will find a machine for that cabinet too...it's so pretty that I keep it in my living room as an entry table and as a bonus it let's people know I am a person who loves to sew if they get a clue. lol
Would having the serial number help for more info? Y'all are all the greatest
PS
foufey maus...no bids from you LOLOLOL...
Old 10-31-2013, 02:05 PM

We have an entry somewhere today on a free treadle machine in Newnan, GA. But no pic. Too far? When are you planning a trip to FL? Maybe get a cousin to go pick it up and hold it for you. Just sayin'
Old 10-31-2013, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

No worries here! Too far from me. Good luck! Hope you get it! Let us know if you do.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
That appears to be a 27 or 28. I've yet to determine the difference. Yes, you can make it work. The plates seem intact meaning more than likely the shuttle and bobbin are also there. If they are missing, add $25 or so to eventual cost. As to fitting in your current cabinet, I would check dimensions. However, the cabinet looks restorable. Price? Whatever the traffic will bear. If you like it, buy it. Personally, I don't see many of these in this shape. It sews with a recognizable rhythmic sound you will like. It makes a very nice stitch. I use it's sister, a 128, as hand crank for canvas boat covers and the like. I just re-upholstered a motor cycle seat in Naugahyde with the HC 128. Good luck!
It's a Singer 27, the bobbin winder is lower toward the bed of the machine. A 127 has the bobbin winder up near the hand wheel.