Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Intermitant no-run problems with my 201-2 >

Intermitant no-run problems with my 201-2

Intermitant no-run problems with my 201-2

Old 11-15-2012, 06:43 PM

Default Intermitant no-run problems with my 201-2

I'm in the process of making a Whacky Bag with my 201-2. Recently it has begun to have a problem. When I push on the knee bar it won't go. But if I turn the hand wheel, it takes off.
So, I removed the wiring block from it and checked the wiring. It's in great shape for 60 YO machine. From there I pulled the brushes. Coated with black carbon but still long enough to not need replacing. So using q-tips and denatured alcohol I cleaned the metal tubes and the brushes. Then cleaned the commutator. All these parts were black with carbon soot.
After that I pulled the hand wheel and found nearly no grease on the gears. So I greased 'em. I made sure to grease the wicks up to the shafts too.
Then I pulled the little covers off of the bottom gears. No grease on the one under the pillar and little on the bobbin drive. So I greased them.
Then I oiled the entire machine.
I do not think this machine has ever been serviced since the day it left the factory. Very clean.

So now it's got it's first servicing and it runs just fine.

Joe
Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 PM

Those grease fitting take a lot of grease, but it should spin on it's own once oiled and service. Enjoy, the 201 is my favorite straight stitcher.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

My husband did a similar "service" when my late 40's Pinnock developed a grind/burning/stalling thing. He had it up and running in no time, and replaced all the electric cords whilst he was at it. I think "Jasper" (the machine) will outlast me
Old 11-17-2012, 10:01 AM

My 201-2 does the same thing sometimes. I chalked it up to the knee bar not hitting the presser foot right, but I never really checked it out. I took it out of its original ugly blonde cabinet and put it in my Queen Anne cabinet.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:17 PM

Lyncat,

I'm 99.9% sure it was the dirty carboned up brushes that was the cause of that problem. The wires were good, connections good, and if I jarred the hand wheel just a tiny bit the machine would take off.
Try using q-tips and denatured alcohol to clean the brushes, their channels, and the armature. You can do all this without disassembling the motor.

Joe
Old 11-18-2012, 06:18 AM

Thanks Joe. I love this machine...I need for it to keep performing in its wonderful way!