Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
It's "NATIONAL CLEAN THE BOBBIN AREA DAY" nah just do it anyway... >

It's "NATIONAL CLEAN THE BOBBIN AREA DAY" nah just do it anyway...

It's "NATIONAL CLEAN THE BOBBIN AREA DAY" nah just do it anyway...

Old 07-28-2015, 03:17 PM
Banned

LOL, I cleaned the PC my boss uses and afterward he called me into his office to ask if I forgot to reconnect the fan (since it was not making it's usual sounds) I presented him with the 2 handfuls of lint and dust from the inside of his machine. One handful came from the CPU fan/heatsink alone.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:00 PM

I used to work with techs like that. "I like loud fans, I know they're working. It's when they're quiet that I worry".
Yeah, I did that once. Almost fried my server over it. It was the CPU fan, not the PSU fan.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:38 PM

I clean my bobbin area every time I start on another project or recommence another project! If I didn't, I'd never hear the end of it from my son, a former SM Mechanic, now working in retail! LOL!

Jeanette
Old 09-09-2015, 07:15 AM

Oh here is the thread I should have posted on.

One very oiled yet linty Kenmore. Some of the lint near and under the power plug terminal is oily and carbon black. I bet that machine was put away because it smoked!
Old 09-09-2015, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
Oh here is the thread I should have posted on.

One very oiled yet linty Kenmore. Some of the lint near and under the power plug terminal is oily and carbon black. I bet that machine was put away because it smoked!
I do not know what is ssssssssooooooooooooo hard about cleaning up a sewing machine every once in a while.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:07 PM

I try to clean mine frequently so it doesn't become a problem. However awhile back I had been sewing on both velvet and fleece. Talk about lint! Took more than five minutes to clean it that time!
Old 09-10-2015, 01:46 AM
Power Poster

Five minutes of quality time... It would take a lot more work if you left it like that.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:04 AM

I like digging lint out of machines. Is that weird? It's my favorite part of cleaning out a "fresh" old machine that's just come into my possession. It's so EASY and can make such a huge difference - I guess it's an instant gratification kind of thing. I am pretty obsessive about keeping my machines clean now, so when I find a machine that has a metric ton of lint packed into the bobbin area I find it weirdly enjoyable to dig it all out and marvel at the sheer volume of fibers that have accumulated.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I like digging lint out of machines. Is that weird? It's my favorite part of cleaning out a "fresh" old machine that's just come into my possession. It's so EASY and can make such a huge difference - I guess it's an instant gratification kind of thing. I am pretty obsessive about keeping my machines clean now, so when I find a machine that has a metric ton of lint packed into the bobbin area I find it weirdly enjoyable to dig it all out and marvel at the sheer volume of fibers that have accumulated.
It is so much fun I don't have to do it any more. Lovie likes to do it. She looks through my machines to find one to do...
Old 09-10-2015, 07:55 AM

Looks like the grandkids are earning their keep.
I enjoy the entire process of bringing a dead machine back to life including cleaning all the grunge off it.
Regular maintenance cleaning only takes a couple minutes. It's not a big deal.
Rodney