I've bought another one!

Old 05-16-2016, 06:45 AM

Default I've bought another one!

Hello again everyone! It's been a while since I was here last. Since then I have purchased another treadle machine. This one isn't in a table and is in much worse shape than my "Minnie". I've tried finding a serial # on this one, but I can't seem to find it. It's a Steinkamp machine. Does anyone know where I can source some information on this brand machine? I appreciate any help you knowledgeable people can give. I'll get pictures posted soon (I hope). Thanks in advance for any information!
Old 05-16-2016, 07:49 AM

"Steinkamp" interesting. *does some searching on DuckDuckGo.com - funny name but good search engine*

Found this page:
https://www.ebth.com/items/1934415-a...le#item-images
Looks a lot like a White to me, though many small manufacturers modeled their machines after their larger competitors.

*more searching*

Ooo, an old NeedleBar page!
http://www.needlebar.org/main/makers...ite/index.html
Page title "White Sewing Machine Company Cleveland, Ohio, USA Names used on Sewing Machines"
Steinkamp is listed. So your machine is probably a badged White. That's good! Few things are more tedious than hunting down parts for a rare sewing machine!

But why the name Steinkamp? Was it a department store?
Old 05-17-2016, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the links! I'm not sure why the name Steinkamp. I bought it for $10 at a Peddler's/Antique Mall type place. It's missing the shuttle and bobbin, but if it's a White I am hoping I can source parts fairly easily. I still haven't found any sort of identification numbers on it. I've not been feeling spectacularly well the last few days, but hope to be able to get a little more into the machine soon.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

Congrats on the fun find, and hope you find those parts soon!
Old 05-17-2016, 09:34 AM

You can find vintage parts on eBay - if it's an older White (not one made for Sears that copies Singer) it will take a shuttle with a pin in the middle, and the bobbins are hollow.

they are not one of the cheaper shuttles/bobbins to be had though, and if you find the shuttle for under $20 you are doing good.

One time I found an old White for $10. I bought it and my husband asked why - because I needed the shuttle and that was one of the cheapest I'd found.

I've also managed to pick up several tucked into attachment boxes, but unless you can get a good picture, there is always the risk that a shuttle in a box marked "White" is not a White shuttle.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:19 AM

The shuttle from my Minnesota Model D "fits" but I don't know that it fits properly. As of right now she needs a good soaking in some lubricating oil. Her paint is also chipping so I'm trying to figure out a way to clean her without removing too much of her paint. She's very dirty. I've got some feelers out elsewhere to see if I can track down what exactly she is and maybe be able to find parts. Thanks again for any insight. I'll update as I find out things!
Old 05-21-2016, 10:14 AM

I have taken a few pictures of the new machine. Maybe these will help in identification!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]550465[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]550466[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550467[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550468[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550469[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]550470[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn1822.jpg   dscn1824.jpg   dscn1825.jpg   dscn1826.jpg   dscn1827.jpg  

dscn1828.jpg  
Old 05-21-2016, 10:32 AM

I found what I am going to assume is a model number under all the dirt on the bobbin cover plate thing. It's 5073724. Still get nothing when I search "steinkamp model # 5073724" though.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:56 PM

I found this on newspapers.com (I am not a member for $140 per year!) but they had OCR text which I copied from the Cincinnati Enquirer Sunday edition March 21 1920 (the Ohio river was above flood stage apparently too):
"The A. Steinkamp & Co., 221-225 West Fifth SH The World's Best Sewing Machine Standard Rotary Exclusively Sold at Steinkamp s. This Week We Specialize a 4 'Drawer Automatic Drop-Head. Standard Rotary Sewing Machine New Model .... $695 On Terms: $5.00 Cash, Balance $1.00 Weekly. Our demonstrator will be very pleased to show you this new Model Standard Rotary Sewing Machine show you liow beautiful it sews and how easy it is to run. Come in and see this machine you 11[will] pronounce it the best sewing machine you have ever tried. Standard Rotary Sewing Machines cost more, both to build and to buy, than other machines, but they are worth far more than the difference to the buyer. Properly used they will last practically forever. The New Standard Rotary has undergone the most severe test that of time. More than thirty years a[g]o it was put on the market no other rotary shuttle machine can point to such a record. Steinkamp's Offer You This Wonderful Sewing Machine on an Easy, Charge Payment System. Why Not Have the Best Then?"
Old 05-21-2016, 02:51 PM

yup - that is a White made machine, at lot of the say "AG Mason" on them, but White was the actual supplier of the machines.

Here is my version of the machine