Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Keeping the decals in tact? A quick question!

Keeping the decals in tact? A quick question!

Let's say I find a machine that both runs and looks beautiful... But that I want to use. What's the best way to keep the decals from getting further worn? How much abuse can they take? Things like that. I think I'd like to be a little more picky with my next machine so it can be both a piece of art and functional but I don't want to worry about ruining the pretty decals.
    Proud owner of: Eleanor, a 1896 Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch Treadle; Tucci, a 1952 Singer Featherweight; my mothers Singer Touch & Sew 758; Brother XR 6060
    1910 Singer 66; Singer 99K Shadow, 1929 Singer 128 (currently w/hand crank)

I'm looking forward to answers on this one! My guess is some extra shellac but that's just a guess.

If the finish on top of the decals is in decent condition, you can give it a shot of the clear coat of your choice. Just make sure the machine is clean, and not oily.
    -Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!

clear coat? clear coat of what type? like car clear coat or art/spray can clear coat?? O.O; what about the parts that move? i guess id have to tape all of that off?
    Proud owner of: Eleanor, a 1896 Willcox & Gibbs Chain Stitch Treadle; Tucci, a 1952 Singer Featherweight; my mothers Singer Touch & Sew 758; Brother XR 6060

Quote Originally Posted by Kittywolf13 View Post
    clear coat? clear coat of what type? like car clear coat or art/spray can clear coat?? O.O; what about the parts that move? i guess id have to tape all of that off?
    The nice part about shellac for a clear coat is that it's reversible. It's also non-toxic, inexpensive and easy to work with. It's also authentic.

I wouldn't think you'd need to tape anything off if you're applying it with a cloth. See Glenn's tutorial on renewing/repairing the shellac on a machine for instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittywolf13 View Post
    Spray can, unless you've got a biggish air brush gun.

You can also redo the shellac, which I have never done. But there are tutorials here, and folks have had really great results.
    -Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!

cool! thank you! I will check it out! XD