Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Kenmore 117.841... New Machine! AKA I got myself in trouble again. >

Kenmore 117.841... New Machine! AKA I got myself in trouble again.

Kenmore 117.841... New Machine! AKA I got myself in trouble again.

Old 11-20-2015, 12:14 PM

I realize these posts are over two years old, but I was wondering if the OP got the Kenmore 117.841 up and running. I have my mother's and am looking to try and get it running. Thanks
Old 11-20-2015, 01:23 PM

I have this machine too. It's my main machine, it was my Mom's too. Feel free to ask me questions here or by PM.

Edited to add that I also have the 117.740 also discussed in this thread. That's my FMQ machine, it's always set up and ready to go. I love how they both operate exactly the same way so I know what knobs to turn!

Last edited by KenmoreGal2; 11-20-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:25 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. My mom's machine still works, but it sat at her house probably ten years or more before I got it. That was at least ten years ago. It's been moved many times, stuck in storage unit, etc. My husband oiled it, and it worked for a little bit, but now just tries. I know I'm not explaining it right, but I'm still pretty much a novice. Any help with cleaning, oiling, disassembling, etc will be appreciated. The machine made countless dresses including mine and my sister's wedding dresses, curtains and lots more. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:04 PM

Hopefully one of the experts will come along. I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to actually repairing. But I'll take a stab. What happens when you turn the handwheel? Does the needle move? That's a good sign IMHO. What happens when you use the pedal? Does the motor make noise but the handwheel does not move? That would point to a belt issue.

I can advise on the specifics of using this machine, like playing with the tension or using the cams or things like that. I'm not sure exactly what info you need though. So ask questions.

Do you have the manual? I oil this machine every week or two. I remove the 2 screws on the top, open the cam door and open the side door which allows me to remove the cover and oil the inside top. There are red marks where you are supposed to oil. There is a sort of hidden red mark under a spring on the backside, behind the cams. It took me a while to find that. I also oil wherever metal meets metal even if there is no red dot there.

I find the design of the bobbin area causes this machine to accumulate lint very easily. Whenever I change my bobbin I open the whole area, remove the shuttle hook and brush the whole area with a fat paint brush. It's very easy to disassemble and put back together. Every few days when I reassemble the bobbin area, I add a drop of oil to the shuttle race and center pin. My 117.740 does not accumulate this much lint. It's specific to the 117.841.

Off the top of my head I don't think I do much else. When I got Mom's machine it had not been used for 20 years. I had to change the bobbin winder tire, get a new belt and give it a good oiling. I use it almost daily.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:10 PM

Hi!
My machine was pretty much up and running when I bought it. After a deep clean and oil It purred like a kitten. Apparently the original owner had it serviced just six months before it was donated to the thrift. At least that was what I heard through the local quilt vine.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:18 PM

I do have the manual and all the attachments. I'm going to tackle the cleaning tomorrow. Will keep you informed. Thanks