Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Kenmore 158 destined for the trash??? >

Kenmore 158 destined for the trash???

Kenmore 158 destined for the trash???

Old 12-29-2014, 03:55 AM
Power Poster

I prefer denatured alcohol - some times I use Naptha - it depends on which one takes care of which oil. Some times one works better than another. The TFSR doesn't have anything specific to Kenmore but the part about adjusting the tension should work. I found good info here: http://mysewingmachineobsession.blog...sembly_11.html I'm thinking there is good info on "bald heads" and tension setting somewhere, too. Tammi has info on tensions on her video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzFX...AyBQ2l-Mzkw7ew There may be some info on bald heads tension problems somewhere on QB - maybe you can search that out.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I prefer denatured alcohol - some times I use Naptha - it depends on which one takes care of which oil. Some times one works better than another. The TFSR doesn't have anything specific to Kenmore but the part about adjusting the tension should work. I found good info here: http://mysewingmachineobsession.blog...sembly_11.html I'm thinking there is good info on "bald heads" and tension setting somewhere, too. Tammi has info on tensions on her video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzFX...AyBQ2l-Mzkw7ew There may be some info on bald heads tension problems somewhere on QB - maybe you can search that out.
Miriam, funny you posted the first link (mysewingobsession)...I was using that site, along with Joe's link to help me with the tension assembly. After all has been said and done, I found nothing wrong with the assembly (granted, I'm no expert), and have successfully reattached it to my machine and I still am having the same issue. I did swap out the case for another, and I had the same problem with the case I know is fine....so I doubt the issue lies there. I used Sulky and Gutermann thread and different fabrics...same problem. Yesterday someone suggested checking the hook timing. I followed his instructions and didn't seem to notice any issues. Is there a chance I'm missing something there seeing as how I am unable to balance this tension? Any other suggestions besides dropping it down the stairs or throwing it on a shelf for another year?

Thanks for all your help and the links. They have all been super helpful!
Old 12-29-2014, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

Your bald heads on your stitches are from the bobbin tension.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rach L. View Post
By the way, is it normal for the needle to continue the up and down movement when taking your foot off the pedal? It's like it doesn't want to stop right away. It's the only machine I have that does this. Could this be a related issue (if it is one)?
In the fifty's, when I bought my first machine (Singer 301), the salesman was telling me about an old treadle that had been converted to an electric. He thought she would have trouble with that because of the large heavy flywheel. It's the weight of the flywheel that makes the machine keep on going and going and going! ! !
So I guess it's either change you flywheel to a smaller one, or get used to slapping your hand onto the flywheel each time you get to the end of a seam. I have learned to do that. Wouldn't want to compromise the beautiful look of the machine.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:10 AM

Miriam, do you think it would be best just to replace the entire tension assembly?
Old 12-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

I think you need to adjust the bottom tension
Old 12-29-2014, 12:18 PM

I think you need to adjust the bottom tension
Yes. That. Take the bobbin case apart and clean the fuzzies out of it, then - since your upper tension is built back to spec presumably - set it tight enough that it stitches out nicely at about 4 on the upper tension. I'd post links but they always get edited out anyway. Follow the video link Miriam posted and follow it to the site. There's tons of information on tension there. I guess someone has a little stress in her life.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:25 PM

Ok, I'll try that, Tammi. Please keep your fingers crossed. This machine is starting to drive me bonkers!
Old 12-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

When I take a bobbin tension apart I work over a sheet magnet - those little screws are really hard to find when they go AWOL.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Rach L. View Post
Ok, I'll try that, Tammi. Please keep your fingers crossed. This machine is starting to drive me bonkers!
You're really not that far off. It's certainly not enough to pitch the machine. There's also a possibility that the tension spring in the bobbin case is damaged but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. I'm going to go and try to beat a bentwood case into submission, only because I'm avoiding the horror show that is the industrial clutch motor I opened up to service last night. I'll be swearing right along with you.

When I take a bobbin tension apart I work over a sheet magnet - those little screws are really hard to find when they go AWOL.
DH learned that last night. Took a set screw out of said machine's light so the motor could come off the table, while standing. "Heard it bounce away" is what he told me. *sigh* still haven't found that one.

I played peekaboo with a FW tension screw last week. Looked all over for it. It's harder to see with the bottom cover on:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]504058[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails peekaboo.jpg