Lady Kenmore 89 or 516.891

Old 08-22-2015, 09:35 AM

Default Lady Kenmore 89 or 516.891

My DD just got a Lady Kenmore 89 and I have been trying to find a (free) manual for it. Funny, they are so readily available for Singers, but not this one. It was mfg. by Gritzner -Kayser from Germany. I am totally without experience with Kenmore. There are experts on QB who perhaps can give information on this machine. She wants to sew with it. Don't know if the cam stack is okay, as I am in TN and she is in IL, so it may be awhile. How do you open it up to look? She say there aren't screws in the top plate. I will have to relay info.. Any advice? Thanks.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:19 AM

Some of the Sears Kenmore machines have top covers that snap on and off on metal pins. I'm not sure if the 89 is that way or not.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 08-23-2015, 11:48 AM

Thanks. She got it open and was able to oil it last night. I insisted she give it the night and try again today. She bought needles and is ready to try again. There was an issue getting the presser foot to hold and I think we worked that out over the phone. Tonight we try ZZ! It is a challenge long distance for sure. We are looking for attachments, which were, of course, absent. I don't know if it is very high shank or just high shank and until we know, I can't hunt them. Some ladies on the Kenmore users group have been very kind and supportive of her efforts and found a manual for her. It really helped with the oiling. The clever Gritzner-Kayser mrg. co. really helped too by marking all the oiling spots with red. She was able to whiz through the oiling process. It sounds like a very well-engineered machine, by those clever German engineers. This machine has helped restore my faith in Kenmores.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:29 PM

It's a great machine; one of the best Kenmores.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:20 AM

Kenmore was made by many different machine makers and then badged Kenmore for Sears.