Singer 306w missing screw?

Old 08-21-2015, 02:14 PM

Default Singer 306w missing screw?

I am reading through the manual for my 306 and I am missing a screw. It's the "intermediate bight regulator screw" it's labelled E2 in the user manual. I have a baggie of screws in with my parts and am wondering if I have one that would work. In the manual it talks about moving it until you feel the notch engage. I have screws that fit the threads but I don't feel anything engage. Maybe mine is too short? I'm peeking in the slot with a flashlight and moving things around and I can't even see a notch.

I think someone here has this same machine. Could you photograph the screw with a measuring device in the shot so I can see what it looks like and how long it is?
Old 08-21-2015, 02:44 PM

Oh and I seem to have a part two to this question. The big control knob has a screw hole on the left side toward the back at 10:00 and then a slot that is more to the front That I would envision as an adjustable place where an adjustment screw would go.

On my machine there is no adjustment screw-that's the one that is missing. There IS one of those little stud type pressure screws but i can see it in a hole when I look in the slotted area. I feel like that might be in the wrong spot. Anyone??
Old 08-21-2015, 05:39 PM
Power Poster

I have one with the same issue. It just sits there grinning at me... stupid derelict machine... I sort of think about any old thumb screw might do but I haven't tried to find the hole yet or what else is missing. I was kind of busy when I acquired that machine so never got around to doing anything with it. Keep me posted what you do to fix it.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I have one with the same issue. It just sits there grinning at me... stupid derelict machine... I sort of think about any old thumb screw might do but I haven't tried to find the hole yet or what else is missing. I was kind of busy when I acquired that machine so never got around to doing anything with it. Keep me posted what you do to fix it.
It's always nice to know I am not alone. I can't imagine why there would be a slot except for it to be an adjustment slot so having a set screw in there seems very wrong. I hope someone comes in with some answers. I am supposed to be working on 10 other things right now but this 306 is making me crazy and if I don't get answers I will most likely start by taking that set screw out!
Old 08-21-2015, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

Do you have an adjuster's manual? I think I glanced at mine for how to take that beehive apart. I think I thought for some reason I needed to do that.......... Maybe that's why I never messed with that machine.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
Do you have an adjuster's manual? I think I glanced at mine for how to take that beehive apart. I think I thought for some reason I needed to do that.......... Maybe that's why I never messed with that machine.
Ummmmm Now I do. I should spend some time looking it over now and see if I can figure this out. Thanks
Old 08-22-2015, 01:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
Ummmmm Now I do. I should spend some time looking it over now and see if I can figure this out. Thanks
I'd love to know what you figure out.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:23 AM

Got out the manual and looked at my 306k to see what you were talking about. Mine is missing too.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Grandma Nancy View Post
Got out the manual and looked at my 306k to see what you were talking about. Mine is missing too.
Sorry it is a 306w but the manual I have is for a 306k
Old 08-22-2015, 04:08 AM

Hi Christy,
Here's a photo of the bight screw, per your request. Its purpose is to lock in a minimum bight when the operator wishes to toggle between bight settings for decorative work. When not in use, it's best set at zero and tightened.
James

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528451[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 306-bight-screw-001.jpg