Latest Acquisitons

Old 08-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
The one the cats like to pee on? I might take it just for the challenge. Have you read this thread?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...d-t216857.html
What some of these guys have done is pretty impressive but it also shows how tough these old machines really are too.
It all depends on how much work you want to put into one.
Rodney
Yes it's that one and I don't want to put ANY work into it. It's all yours. I'll have to bring it when I bring you the 99 if you still want to do that.

Cari
Old 08-29-2014, 11:49 PM

I'm not even sure what I could trade you for the 99. Most of my machines are pretty generic and frankly your 99 sounds like it's better than any I could convince myself to part with.
Rodney
Old 08-30-2014, 01:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I'm not even sure what I could trade you for the 99. Most of my machines are pretty generic and frankly your 99 sounds like it's better than any I could convince myself to part with.
Rodney
A fair trade has nothing to do with $$ value, a trade is fair if both parties are happy. If you don't have anything I'd like right now that you want to part with, you might in the future. There's not a time limit on my offer.

Cari
Old 08-30-2014, 04:49 AM

Rodney, you are hoplessly hook on vintage machines. it makes me happy to see your enthusiam for them
Old 08-30-2014, 09:24 AM

I do need to be careful not to bury myself in them though. Sewing machines have a lot going for them. I like machines of all types. Sewing machines are mechanically complex and have a huge variety of designs. They're also portable and you can work on them and use them indoors. This has become important, I'm disabled and some of my medications make me really sensitive to cold. I also can't do the heavy lifting that I once could, sewing machines are small enough I can move them around. Finding them is also fun, I like the hunt. I also like making things and I've discovered it really doesn't matter what. My enjoyment is in the process. I've also met some really great people thru sewing machines.
I do think my wife would be happier if I slowed down on them a bit. We live in a small house and space and finances are both limited. She is supportive but doesn't quite get why I want more than just a few. Realistically, one good zigzag machine would fulfill at least 95% of all sewing needs. I think what I'm going to focus on is machines from about 1900 up to the 70s or even a little later. I don't have any interest in the modern electronic and plastic ones and doubt I'll be able to afford any of the truly early ones. I do want to try to get a good representation (cross section?) of the evolution of the sewing machine though, including some of the dead ends.
Rodney
Old 08-30-2014, 01:35 PM
Banned

I know what you mean about burying yourself in them. That's what happened to me when I first started. I spent my first year buying anything I could afford. Now that I've gotten a little wiser, a lot poorer, and have a specific focus I'm in the purging phase of almost everything that isn't my focus. I have many more machines than what I've told about or shown.

Cari
Old 08-30-2014, 07:18 PM

I have refinished several wooden cases and use varnish remover, then stain with mahogany stain. Let dry well and steel wool it to smooth, then stain again and go over it lightly to remove any bumps. Add replacement decals "Singer" to the box and seal with brush on lacquer from Home Depot. It will be very shiny so you my wish to "satin" it with very fine steel wool, or not. I like mine shiny. It gives a piano finish that I happen to like. Had lots of compliments. It is a bit of work, but it is well worth it. Got the decals off Ebay. Good luck.
CAUTION: Let lacquer dry very hard if giving a second coat for a "deep" look, if worked too fresh it will roll up and you will have to start all over at the beginning
Donna

Last edited by DonnaMiller; 08-30-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:31 PM

Thanks Donna. I have a project or two ahead of it. Right now I've oiled everything I could reach from the outside of the machine and have it sitting aside while I'm working on a building a case for a Singer 27 I bought as a parts machine. The head is too nice to part out so it's getting a case and a hand crank. Meanwhile I'm hoping the oil will soak in and loosen up the White. It's currently frozen solid. I have more machines than I do cases to put them in so I'm working to fix that. The White case is giving me some good lessons in case construction. I'll be copying some of their methods on the next one.
Rodney
Rodney
Old 09-05-2014, 01:43 PM

I just noticed when I was looking for this thread that I spelled acquisitions wrong. What can I say? I'm stupid.
Rodney
Old 09-05-2014, 01:46 PM

I better quit while I'm ahead then. If it wasn't for spell check and an online dictionary my posts would look like a 3rd grader wrote them