Left homing?

Old 11-16-2014, 07:37 AM

Default Left homing?

blackberry refers to a left homing machine. I'm not familiar with the term, would someone please explain what it means? Thanks for all of the education from all of you.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:48 AM

Left-homing means that when set to straight stitch, a machine's needle bar will be set in the left portion of a zig-zag foot, for example. ('Homing' meaning 'residing' rather than 'trending'.) This has implications as to the number of feed dogs feeding the fabric, the type of feet that are best for straight-stitching on such a machine, etc. I'm not a quilter but as I understand, this is not ideal for quilting.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:35 AM

To add to what KRA posted, the Left Homing machines need a special straight stitch presser foot. If you try to use a regular one the needle will be ruined post haste.

There are two types of left homing machines and you've got to be careful how you work with them. Some will have no needle position lever, others do.
Some go to the left position when it's off the ZZ position, others have the L,M,R lever but are left homing on straight stitch only. My Aldens Magic ZZ is like that. I never knew it was left homing until I put the straight stitch needle plate in.

I don't have any trouble quilting with left homing machines but I don't really like them either.

Joe
Old 11-16-2014, 10:20 AM

They're not great piecing machines. The 1/4" only rides on one feed dog and keeping a scant quarter inch is not enjoyable. Unfortunately, they tend to be the most attractive, brightly colored and decorated machines. So, it's always hard to resist them in my case. I love the way they "look" but don't love the way they sew.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
They're not great piecing machines. The 1/4" only rides on one feed dog and keeping a scant quarter inch is not enjoyable. Unfortunately, they tend to be the most attractive, brightly colored and decorated machines. So, it's always hard to resist them in my case. I love the way they "look" but don't love the way they sew.
I agree with you Candace. I love the beautiful colors but they are not good quilting machines. I only have them in my collection because of their vivid bright colors. And usually I have been able to find them at very reasonable colors.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry View Post
....usually I have been able to find them at very reasonable colors.
What do you consider a reasonable color?

CD in Oklahoma
Old 11-20-2014, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
What do you consider a reasonable color?

CD in Oklahoma
Mistype word. Should have read reasonable prices