Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Look What I Found

Blog Entries

Look What I Found

I was in Racine Wisconsin visiting my sister this last week. We went to the Habitat For Humanity Restore facility and I was asking the gentleman there if he had any sewing machines. He showed me this very old Singer Sewing machine which he sold to me for $20. I have never seen one like it. I turned the wheel and it turned very easily with the needle bar going up and down. We plugged it in and it ran very quietly and very smoothly. I am sure this was one used as a treadle and someone has put a motor and a light on it. This machine used the bullet type of bobbin. The serial number says it was mfg in 1889. I know nothing about this type of machine. Does anyone know if the belt on this machine which is hanging somewhat loosely come around and fit on the bobbin widing mechanism? If not, how would you wind the bobbin. The bobbin winder will move forward and backward and will turn if the belt is pulled very tightly around the bobbin winder. However, it is too loose to turn the wheel to sew. Therefore, I don't know how this works!!! Does anyone have a website that talks about this machine. I haven't begun to clean this machine. The decals are so pretty I don't want to make the same mistakes that I did with the treadle that we cleaned up.
    Attached Images Attached Images Click to view large image  Click to view large image  Click to view large image 

Color me jealous!! A fiddlebed with the front slide and the shuttle. Where do y'all keep finding them??

The bobbin winder was placed low and is made to work with a treadle belt. If you wanted to keep the motor (find a treadle base for it!!), then you'd have to wind by hand or rig something up.

If the hinges haven't been modified and you want to treadle it, you'll have to either find an original cabinet or make a top to fit. It doesn't have the same type of Singer hinges found on most machines.

Edit: I do also wonder how they got the motor on it. It has no motor boss, so they probably had to modify the back somehow to put it on.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Beautiful machine.....lucky you!

Wow..that is beautiful!! Lucky you!
    "In this age of information, ignorance is a choice".

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

Pretty machine!! What a great find!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Wow!! She is truly a beauty! And at a great price.

Even if it never sewed another stitch, what a beautiful machine. Love the flowers on it.

wow very pretty! love the flowers!
    Donna

She's so pretty!!!

Very pretty, I hope you can preserve those beautiful decals. Would be pretty just being desplayed.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast