Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Look What I Found

Blog Entries

Look What I Found

I was in Racine Wisconsin visiting my sister this last week. We went to the Habitat For Humanity Restore facility and I was asking the gentleman there if he had any sewing machines. He showed me this very old Singer Sewing machine which he sold to me for $20. I have never seen one like it. I turned the wheel and it turned very easily with the needle bar going up and down. We plugged it in and it ran very quietly and very smoothly. I am sure this was one used as a treadle and someone has put a motor and a light on it. This machine used the bullet type of bobbin. The serial number says it was mfg in 1889. I know nothing about this type of machine. Does anyone know if the belt on this machine which is hanging somewhat loosely come around and fit on the bobbin widing mechanism? If not, how would you wind the bobbin. The bobbin winder will move forward and backward and will turn if the belt is pulled very tightly around the bobbin winder. However, it is too loose to turn the wheel to sew. Therefore, I don't know how this works!!! Does anyone have a website that talks about this machine. I haven't begun to clean this machine. The decals are so pretty I don't want to make the same mistakes that I did with the treadle that we cleaned up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Color me jealous!! A fiddlebed with the front slide and the shuttle. Where do y'all keep finding them??

The bobbin winder was placed low and is made to work with a treadle belt. If you wanted to keep the motor (find a treadle base for it!!), then you'd have to wind by hand or rig something up.

If the hinges haven't been modified and you want to treadle it, you'll have to either find an original cabinet or make a top to fit. It doesn't have the same type of Singer hinges found on most machines.

Edit: I do also wonder how they got the motor on it. It has no motor boss, so they probably had to modify the back somehow to put it on.
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Beautiful machine.....lucky you!

Wow..that is beautiful!! Lucky you!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Pretty machine!! What a great find!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Wow!! She is truly a beauty! And at a great price.

Even if it never sewed another stitch, what a beautiful machine. Love the flowers on it.

wow very pretty! love the flowers!
    Donna

She's so pretty!!!

Very pretty, I hope you can preserve those beautiful decals. Would be pretty just being desplayed.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Wow, what a deal. I think I would clean her up and then plan to find a cabinet that could be modified to fit the head. She needs to be returned to her former treadling self.
    Sweet Caroline

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful machine.
    Quilting is an addiction that you can be proud of and enjoy.
    Elna TSP,Kenmore,Singer Futura,Singer Red Eye x2,Singer 66,White Rotary Treadles x2, Montgomery Wards, Janome 10000,Singer 201-2 1947,Juki serger, Black 1947 Featherweight. Singer 301a 1951, Parlor Cabinet Treadle w/ White.
    Deb

Beautiful machine!! Its a 127, circa 1889. I saw one like yours at the local antique mall store with a price tag of $500! The cabinet wasn't in very good condition either.

Wow! My DH brought me home the SAME MACHINE about two months ago...1889, fiddlebase, same decals. I love it. It has no treadle cabinet or base but came with quite a few feet and several bullet bobbins. I'm only going to use if for display, I have it on top of the pie safe in my sewing room. DH found it in an antique shop in northern Illinois for $22.

Wow; she is gorgeous!! Congratulations to you!
    ​Krysti

Best wishes to you w/ your great find! I would love to find one like it

Blog Entries
    OMG! See what I posted at http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post5338144
    It seems that we have "sisters". I named mine Lillie Millie after my mother and her mother who both taught me to sew on a treadle machine like ours. I am in the process of refurbishing mine. Glenn has given me some invaluable advice. If you look at my photos, you will see what yours originally looked like. (well, kinda) My machine is in a hundred parts right now but I am about to re-assemble it and I have a bit more of the wood work to clean and the nicks in the japan to touch up and then the final shellac coat on it. Rust and pitting are time consuming to deal with but it really looks nice now. Enjoy the restoration process, it really is fun albeit a little messy.

Blog Entries
    oh my goodness...how special and pretty is that. I'd love it. It would be great to look at even if it didn't work. giggling. I just love it. You are so lucky. Enjoy that beauty.

nice little machine. the decals are just very beautiful.
    Pat
    Patsy

Quote Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
    Its a 127, circa 1889.
    Actually, it's more likely a Variable Shuttle 2 (VS2). The 127 replaced the 27 in about 1913ish so it can't be a 127. I don't think it's a 27 either though, the date is wrong. Date is right for a VS2. Looks like the VS2 I have, only with much better decals. Congrats!!

Blog Entries
    It is identical to my VS2.

Beautiful machine... the decals are gorgeous,

These are some sites that I've found for identifying and researching Singers or other machines: sandman-collectibles.com, Singerco.com, keelersales.com (decals), ISMACS International (Sewing Machine Collectors Society_ has a database of singer machines by serial numbers). I hope this helps you and anyone else doing some research on their singers.

Blog Entries
    Another board member that I know has the same machine, 1890, beautiful cabinet, decals in similar condition as yours. These are such lovely machines. You need to find a treadle base for it and dump the motor!! She was made to be an elegant treadler.

Blog Entries
    This machine was just waiting to be rescued by you! If you ever plan on using it, find a set of treadle irons and have a table top made to fit. It will be worth the effort. Truly, if you clean it up and only display it, it will forever be a great piece of eye-candy.
    Annette

There is no fireside like your own fireside.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack View Post
    Another board member that I know has the same machine, 1890, beautiful cabinet, decals in similar condition as yours. These are such lovely machines. You need to find a treadle base for it and dump the motor!! She was made to be an elegant treadler.
    Yes - and here she isName:  1891 Singer VS 2 coffin top treadle.png
Views: 210
Size:  799.0 KBName:  1891 Singer VS 2.png
Views: 152
Size:  735.7 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast