Machine Shed progress

Old 11-25-2014, 04:35 AM

That's a nice looking studio!

I'm going with cove heating as I have on in my kitchen over the window seat. Couldn't put a base heater there! These have come down quite a bit in cost since they first came out. I've had it for a couple of years now, and it works very nice.

and the lower part.

I designed my kitchen cabinents and DH and I built and installed them. I really love it, but I keep thinking "Ikea" if there is ever a next time LOL!!

For fun - this is what it looked like in 2004.

We installed a patio door, but had too many problems because the wall slants about 2" from top to bottom (and no way to straighten it without pulling the house apart). The funny part, we took it out exactly 4 years to the date that we put it in. Realized that when I was looking at pictures.

I'm taking today off work, forecast has winds 5-10, high around 39 and a slight chance of rain/snow after 5pm. It's only about 20 right now. We'll probably get out there around 10 or so, and should have plenty of time to get the south side shingled. At least this time we don't have to putz around as much trying to figure out a few things as we figured them out on the first half!

Last edited by Macybaby; 11-25-2014 at 04:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:59 AM

We had so much wind yesterday that the few snow flurrys ended up bringing zero visibility. Shingling would have been impossible. Love the look of your shed and the kitchen. I love drawers in the kitchen.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:02 AM

Great progress but are the cats really going to let you put stuff in there?
Old 11-25-2014, 07:11 AM

Here are some early AM pictures.

DH getting the trailer out of the shed - that is where the shingles are.

We got things set up - just need to wait for the frost to melt off the roof.

Since we've got the peak sealed up, DH put the heater on out there. Figure we can heat it up from the underside too.

If it works, it should help the shingles on the north side seal up a bit better.

DH got a call from the Auto Parts store, so he took off to pick up his order, and things should be dry enough when we gets back for us to get to work. He decided to put new shocks and springs on the van - so I can haul lots of heavy machines in it!
Old 11-25-2014, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by GreyQ View Post
Great progress but are the cats really going to let you put stuff in there?
The "cat door" will eventually be in the summer kitchen side (east end) and then the cats won't have a choice about not getting into my machine shed! They may not be too happy, but they'll have to tough it out LOL!!

We lost one of them early this week - not sure if it was illness or injury. I'm not around to notice much during the week, and DH doesn't pay all that much attention to the cats - like counting to make sure none are missing. So on Friday I could only find 7 - so went looking and found the 8th curled up in a hiding spot, dead. I know he wouldn't have died from cold, so it was something else.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:32 AM

So sorry to hear about your cat. Cats are tricky that way - they don't really show when they need help - just go off by themselves. One of my favorite cats seemed to be fine, but when I stroked her back one day she didn't arch up the way she usually did. I took her to the vet and she had advanced lymphoma and was dead within a week. The vet said that it's a survival mechanism for being in the wild - they don't want to appear weak, so they don't show signs of illness until it's very advanced. Again, sorry for your loss.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:45 AM

We got the roofing finished yesterday. Good thing - today isn't near as nice out!

Though fortunaly we probably won't be getting any more white stuff (going east of us) and by Friday it's suppose to be above 40. So we'll be siding then. I'm looking forward to getting the outside done so we can get to working on the inside!
Old 11-26-2014, 10:14 AM

Phew! I'm a California girl so I've never had to worry about working around the elements like that! You must really trust your weatherman! It's coming along very nicely.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
You must really trust your weatherman! It's coming along very nicely.
no, I expect they are no better here than anywhere else. Only job you can be wrong over 50% of the time and still keep your job LOL!!