Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
machines without cabinets -- help! >

machines without cabinets -- help!

machines without cabinets -- help!

Old 11-25-2014, 07:52 PM

You can also hit the thrift store and find something you don't feel bad about cutting up.

This is what I did:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...e-t216312.html
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...e-t216324.html

The posts got splintered when a mod moved it to the tutorials section, so it's in 2 parts. A lot of computer desks would work this way, or I've seen people do the same with Dining tables. I've made the Height Adjustable desk 2.0 and it's using all Ikea components, but a little less adjustable, because I was bumping my knees on the adjusters. I also built it at standing height, so it's the same height as my cutting table and the LA, so my chair doesn't need adjusting when I scoot around the room.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:07 PM

I have a few of the folding sewing tables that were popular about 30 or more years ago. They have two levels when set up. Some were made for specific models of machines and some are more adaptable. Just google "Vintage folding sewing table". I paid $6 to $9 each in thrift stores. They do not look sturdy, but are.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
If your 301 is a short bed get a cradle and put it into a cabinet. There are also card tables made for both models.

Cari
You also need the brackets inside the cabinet that support the front part of the cradle. You could also get card tables for the 301 and 221. They don't have the same foot print, so you need one for each machine.
Sharon in Texas

Last edited by purplefiend; 12-02-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
You also need the brackets inside the cabinet that support the front part of the cradle. You could also get card tables for the 301 and 221. They don't have the same foot print, so you need one for each machine.
Sharon in Texas
I think every cabinet I've seen that was made for the longer full size Singers(401 and up) have those brackets on them. I'm talking about the cabinets that don't have that right side flap on the front flip up part.

Cari
Old 12-03-2014, 06:50 AM

I've got some great cabinets from the thrift store. They usually run about $10 to $15. But then you may need someone to cut an insert to fit your machine.

Just a thought...