Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Mending CoverAlls With A Treadle Singer 319W >

Mending CoverAlls With A Treadle Singer 319W

Mending CoverAlls With A Treadle Singer 319W

Old 03-21-2014, 04:21 PM
KLO

Thanks so much for those photos and words about your MUTT. I think that whole set up is genius!
Old 03-22-2014, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
The Singer top in the photos is from an electric Singer Model 56 Economy Cabinet. The solid top that I took off is the extension leaf from that same cabinet, with a belt slot cut into it for the treadle belt. I change the entire top by removing and replacing the 4 screws that go through the top of the stand. I’ve got a collection started of different brands of tops for different brands of machines, but I haven’t used anything but the Singer and solid flat tops yet.
CD in Oklahoma
Ingenious! I'm in the process of fabricating a blank wood top with a rectangle cut out for inserts for various machines. Your solution is so simple it's brilliant. Thanks for sharing. May rethink my solution.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:22 AM

To give you a little more information on my MUTT, I got my idea while a member of the email group TreadleOn. Folks there came up with the term “MUT” (Multi-Use Treadle) long before I came along. However, the MUT was created more along the lines of using one treadle stand with multiple inserts for various machines. The idea was to have a full-blown treadle, complete with drawers and extension top, that various types of machines could be interchanged within to avoid having multiple treadles in a small sewing area. Some MUT builders changed the entire top, or had a combination of multiple tops and multiple inserts, but they generally tried to maintain a full-size working area.

I took the idea a step further to make a more portable treadle stand, so that I could transport it to remote sewing locations (by vehicle) easier. I added the “Traveling” part to my creation, and stripped the unit down void of drawers, drawer hangers, drip pan (or shirt protector), and dress guard around the flywheel. I lightened it up as much as possible for handling, and sized it down as much as possible for space (both for cargo space and booth vendor space). I even selected a treadle stand with pressed steel legs to eliminate as much cast iron as possible to lighten the unit up. The weight of the stand and solid top (without a machine) is about 35 pounds. It weighs less with the Singer top mounted (less wood), but I keep forgetting to weigh it.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 03-22-2014, 03:55 PM

Oh my goodness, so much smartness on the board today--first the man in Alabama who fashioned a quilting table and painted a Singer machine lavender and now you with your traveling MUTT. Wonder if he sews as well as you???
And did the barb wire get you from running from a horse and just barely making it under the fence? You can ask my son about that one. It is still one of the funniest stories making the rounds at our family gatherings--my daughter's horse and my son's teasing the horse.....
Old 03-23-2014, 04:44 AM

Thank you for the compliment, but I don’t know that I’m all that smart. I think most men would be perfectly happy to let their wife mend their coveralls for them. LOL!

I mended a brown pair yesterday, and the muscles in my calf and ankle are complaining this morning.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails 20140322_mending_01.jpg   20140322_mending_03.jpg